OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Keyboard entry layout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Keyboard entry layout Reply with quote

I was happily editing one of my spreadsheets, and I must have accidentally hit a control sequence of some kind.
Suddenly the Q and A keys swapped places for data entry, and the YZW keys have switched places.
In addition, all my numeric keys are onlyworking when I use the SHIFT key.

I looked in the help and online and in forums, but I can't see anything to switch back to my normal keyboard layout. As you can see from this message, my other applications have not suffered this altered keyboard layout.
This is really a bit annoying, as I will have to continue (for now, anyway) with Excel...

Please help if you have an idea !?

Thanks,
Mark
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem you have switched to the French AZERTY keyboard. You could just find a web page with the layout and use it or try to find the key combination to change back to QWERTY. For the latter have a look at:

http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/keyboards/winkey.html
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange that only OpenOffice is affected. Presumably all documents suffer the change?

I cannot imagine how or what changed. I'd have a look at Tools >Options >Language Settings >Languages just in case you've somehow switched to another locale.

Weird.
novado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Symptoms disappeared ... so far Reply with quote

Thanks both of you for the observations.
I will keep the weblink reference in case it happens again.
After rebooting, OOCalc is back to its regular self, all the keys in the right place.
I can't say if other "oo" applications suffered the same problem at the same time, as I was only using OOCalc at the time, apart from my browser, which was not affected at all.
Under Tools, Options, Language Settings, Languages, I do have the default language set to "French(Switzerland)", but that's because I'm using a swiss-french keyboard, and it never caused the keyboard input settings to change to the AZERTY layout before.
Weird, I agree, but for now it ain't broke, so I won't be trying to "fix" it.
If I find time, I'll post back here later with the "cause" in case someone else runs into the same problem.
Issue closed.
Cheers,
Mark
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the situation is on Windows (I've only ever used an English keyboard with it) but on Linux it would not be at all strange for the keyboard language to be different for each application; i.e. using the desktop keyboard switcher you have to set it for each individual application - you could be typing Spanish in Calc but click to make a forum entry on your web-browser and it will still be English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: