OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Making OO default for opening files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chavyboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Making OO default for opening files Reply with quote

I'm running a MacBook and Open Office 2.0, for which X11 is required.

I want to know if it's possible to alter some settings so that double-clicking on an .odt file will start OpenOffice? Also, is it possible to make OO the default program for RTF files etc?

I cannot find an actual program file when I am invited to choose an application with which to open it, meaning I have to start OO, then select the appropriate file through the File... menu.

Obviously this isn't a big problem, but for convenience's sake, I wondered if anyone could help?

Thanks in advance

Andy
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a mac expert (haven't worked with one in years), but you might need to look for soffice instead of OpenOffice.org. That is the executable file in MS Windows.
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to know if it's possible to alter some settings so that double-clicking on an .odt file will start OpenOffice?

I believe the answer is yes and that it involves a shell script. That's all I know about it though--I'm not a Mac user.

Last edited by pulsifer on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
crjacobsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Changing Open With... defaults on OS X Reply with quote

Hope this helps. If you right-click on, say, an .rtf file and select 'Get Info', the window that opens up has an option to change which program opens that type of file. It's about 3/4 of the way down the window. The text reads "Open with:". Below the drop down menu of programs, the text reads "Use this application to open all documents like this." Below that is a dimmed button reading "Change All..."
First, click the tab below "Open with:" and select 'OpenOffice.org 2.0' from the drop-down menu. Then, select the "Change All..." button, which should have come out of hiding. There should also be some verification window that pops up. Clilck "Continue" and it should be done. It works for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: