OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Solution to reduce memory consumption during conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kapil.dhakad
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Solution to reduce memory consumption during conversion Reply with quote

During conversion of .SXW / .ODT to .PDF it consumes lot of memory. If it is a web application and servlet contains code for conversion then memory will not released still application server will down. (If it is a java program then System.exit() will work, but for servlet it will cause application server shutdown)

To perform conversion, it need to start open office instance. Currently we are starting it at localhost. Application/web server act as a client and connect with open office instance to perform document conversion.

To reduce memory consumption we are planning following solution. Can you please let me know if it will reduce some amount of memory overhead ?

RATHER THAN STARTING OPEN OFFICE INSTANCE ON LOCAL SERVER, WILL IT OK TO START IT ON SOME ANOTHER SERVER SO THAT AMOUNT OF MEMORY REQUIRE FOR OPEN OFFICE INSTANCE STARTING, AND CONVERSION WILL SHARED BETWEEN TWO SERVERS.

Please let me know feedback.

Thanks in advance, Waiting for feedback
- Kapil
kapil.dhakad
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Waiting for reply Reply with quote

Hi,

Can you please post your feedback for this topic ? I am waiting and eager to know about solution.

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks
- Kapil
Olly600
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search the forum (use the search link above) you will see that other people have posted that you just have to restart the server periodically to release memory, plus OOo is not thread safe.

I have not tried OOo on two servers so I can't help you with the overhead.
jwr
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: pdf by printer output Reply with quote

Alternatively to conversion from OOo-programs you might also consider starting a virtual printer job into a pdf-converter.
My idea: This will automatically be started on a printerserver and free your OOo-application.

Regards -Hans-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: