OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Headers/Footers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tevans45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Headers/Footers Reply with quote

Hi. I'm a new user to this site and to Open Office
Here's my problem. I've created a new document. However, I DON'T want the header on any of the pages. I've gone into the header tab, turned it off, but it still bumps the last line on page 1 over to page 2 as a header.... I'm confused. Can someone tell me where to find the information for step-by-step processing on how to NOT have header automatically turn on.
Thanks.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your page style is shown on the status bar. You may be using the First Page page style which, by default, is followed by the Default page style and Default may have Header on.

On the other hand the last line on a page, assumed not to be a footer, should never become a header on the next page unless in the Heading 1 paragraph style and the header contained the Chapter field.
tevans45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and that means?...... I need to check to see what style is being applied to each page? if default, remove the parameters I dont' want?
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Headers/Footers Reply with quote

tevans45 wrote:
Hi. I'm a new user to this site and to Open Office
Here's my problem. I've created a new document. However, I DON'T want the header on any of the pages. I've gone into the header tab, turned it off, but it still bumps the last line on page 1 over to page 2 as a header.... I'm confused. Can someone tell me where to find the information for step-by-step processing on how to NOT have header automatically turn on.
Thanks.

I'm also confused. I've never heard of headers being turned on automatically. Headers are off by default when you create a new document unless a custom template has been used which turns on the headers, but text should never spontaneously move from the document body to a header. If that is what's happening there is something seriously wrong. If page 1 and page 2 have the same page style and the text is actually in a header, that header should appear on both pages, not just the second.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I need to check to see what style is being applied to each page?
Yes, OOo uses page styles and one document can contain just one or many different page styles. Simple example - you are using a portrait page style life Default but need to insert a page that is landscape. You do so by changing page styles.

The header/footer is a property of the page style (just as portrait or landscape is) so one page style can have the header and/or footer on and another have them off.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Headers/Footers Reply with quote

tevans45 wrote:
I've gone into the header tab, turned it off, but it still bumps the last line on page 1 over to page 2 as a header.... I'm confused.

So am I ! Could you post your doc somewhere ?

If first page style is First Page, 2nd page may have a header (depending on the Next style set in the Organizer tab) but a header made of the last line from first page, that's strange !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: