OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Adding "Figure 1" to figure titles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soccerman58
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Adding "Figure 1" to figure titles Reply with quote

Hi Guys

This seems a bit of a tough one. I want to number all my figures (just straight through the book 1 through X. No need for "Figure 2.3" sort of thing.)

Troouble is, I can't see how to even start getting the number itself, much less set up the format to say "Figure X." I am starting with the para format called FIgure Number which I thought would be a good place to start, but maybe not. I went to the Numbering Tab of the designer to see what was there, and there's not much. Numbering style is set at None (although there are many to choose from, so if None is not correct, what would be a good option from that long list??)

The Include this paragraph checkbox is checked, and the Restart at this Paragraph box is not, although I have no idea what either might do.

Now I can get a sort of fake numbering by simply clicking in the text of the figure title and click the Numbering ON/OFF icon on the menu bar (next to the alignment group) and that will pop a 1 in the text, (although I couldn't convince Figure 2 to become anything but 1). That caused the Bullets and Numbering toolbar to pop open and I did toy briefly with experimenting with the Options tab until I realized that if I put the word Figure in the "Before" field on the options tab I would end up with the word Figure in front of every single numbered paragraph, so I dodged that bullet. ALthough it might still contain part of the answer, I suppose.

So, I throw myself upon your mercy. How do I get "Figure" as part of the figure title numbering scheme, and how do I get the number to increment by one every time I use the Figure Number paragraph please?

Thanks
Phil
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one takes a while to figure out.

Those numbering options only apply if you want to number your figures by chapter, so Figure 2.3 would mean figure 3 in chapter 2. So leave it at none.

To change the text label (mine is Illustration by default), just retype the text in the Category field to "Figure" or "Screenshot" or whatever you want

From Tools, Options, Autocaption you can check the box to have Oo insert a caption automatically whenever you insert a picture.
soccerman58
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Figure Reply with quote

Hi

I did what you suggested, thanks. I already have illustrations in the doc, so would I have to cut and paste them to get the caption to appear, or will it do it if I save and reopen the doc, please?

Is there anyway I can beat the default of putting the caption under rather than over the picture? It is grayed out and I can't get it to change.

Thanks
Phil
jeanweber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Figure Reply with quote

soccerman58 wrote:
I did what you suggested, thanks. I already have illustrations in the doc, so would I have to cut and paste them to get the caption to appear, or will it do it if I save and reopen the doc, please?

Right-click on each illustration and choose "Caption" from the pop-up menu. If you have already typed in the caption text, then cut and paste it into the caption dialog.

You can also do this by creating a number variable and then manually type the word "Figure" and insert a number variable field at the beginning of each of the existing captions. For details on how to do this, see the chapter "Working with Fields" in the Writer Guide. It's actually quite easy to do, though not so easy to explain.

soccerman58 wrote:
Is there anyway I can beat the default of putting the caption under rather than over the picture? It is grayed out and I can't get it to change.

No, you cannot change that. However, if you fake the captions by using a field (as mentioned above), you can put the "caption" paragraph above the picture. This is mentioned in the Working with Fields chapter as one reason for doing it manually.
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason that the Position drop down is grayed out? To me, this looks like a bug.
jeanweber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
Is there a reason that the Position drop down is grayed out? To me, this looks like a bug.

AFAIK, it's "working as designed", but I do not know why the designers chose to make it that way. I am sure there is a request in to change this behaviour, but I don't know the issue number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: