OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Help with saving .doc formats
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betsy wrote:
Hope ya don't mind...I have another PDF question?

I saved my documents as .pdf, then went into Outlook Express and mailed them to myself to test them. They worked...but, I have a question?

I attached them as separate files. I would prefer my clients only have to open (1) file, and have them all appear consecutively. How would I go about that? Is there an option in OOo that will allow me to say...merge the files without really merging them?

My "Weekly Menu's" contain 18 separate documents. I would like for my clients to be able to open (1) document and then have it contain all of the 18 documents, then have them choose print, and have it print them from 1-18...is this possible?

Thanks (sorry for so many questions), Betsy

As I understand it, you currently send out a zip file containing 18 Word documents. You could do the same with PDFs, just by zipping up the PDF files instead of the Word files.

However, it sounds like you'd rather create one single PDF file that contains all of the 18 menus, so that your customers only have to open & print one file to get all 18 menus. This is certainly possible, but if you're going to be doing it every week, it would make a lot of sense to write a macro to do it. I'm not suggesting that you write it yourself, though Wink

If you'd like to send me a private message, either via e-mail or the forum (click on the EMail or PM button below this post) then I'd be happy to discuss what you want, and write something suitable. (There's no point clogging up the forum with what is effectively a private discussion). If the end result is likely to be useful to others, I'll post it on OOoMacros.

Russ
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you send 1 file, several files or merge any number into one, this thread convinces me that PDF is the way for you to go, Betsy. It will look more profesional, you will clearly be seen to have given a lot of thought to it. Also, the fact that it is, by definition, read only (unless your customers spend a great deal of money on the full Acrobat package) will mean that no-one can mess about with your price list! I often send out complex draft documents by e-mail. These are so clients can make changes to them. I always use pdf so they have to write on a printed document rather than tinker with it in electronic form, which I might miss.

I note that some of your customers may use Macs. Some may also use Linux? One things for sure, they will almost certainly be able to open pdfs.

On your other point, merging, I have tried this, and it works. I can think of uses myself. Assuming you have all your menus ready set up, create a new document (blank) and from then select insert\file and pick the first one. The file will simply be copied into the document. Then repeat again and again until they are all in. Use page breaks if needed. Voila! You have a merged document that isn't, because the original files are intact. So, next week, assuming you change even just one of the prices on one menu, changing the source menu and repeating the process will ensure it happens correctly.

Now, so long as you keep the file names constant and assuming you want to be consistent from week to week, as you go through the process of (page break)/ insert/file and selecting it you should be recording a macro. (tools\macros\record macro). Once you have finished, you will be prompted to give the macro a name. Next time after updating (but not renaming) each menu Open a new blank text document and then select tools\macro and then pick the macro and "run" it and the job is done. 20 seconds, tops I think. I've just done it, importing 2 files myself. 20 should work just the same. Very powerful. Give it a try, as you seem keen to experiment.

Ian
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liquidator wrote:
Now, so long as you keep the file names constant and assuming you want to be consistent from week to week, as you go through the process of (page break)/ insert/file and selecting it you should be recording a macro

I agree that a macro is the way to go. I've been in e-mail contact with Betsy about this, and am in the process of writing a macro for her. However, as a hand-written (rather than recorded) macro, the file names won't need to be fixed. I'm inclined to think that it is likely to be useful to other people once it's finished, so I'll be posting the completed code (possibly as an add-in) to OOoMacros.

Russ
Betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone....

Just wanted to stop back and say "Thank You" to everyone who has been so helpful with your ideas and suggestions.

Now, I'm asking myself...why didn't I think of PDF before? I love that OOo has the button on the tool bar to create these types of documents,...it makes it sooooo easy!

Russ,...a "Big" thank you for all of your help...I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and provide such wonderful support to those who are new to using this program.

I stumbled across a posting that had mentioned OOo while I was in the 602Text Forum (which was the program I downloaded before discovering OOo)...I felt it lacked some features,...so I continued looking for an alternative...and wa lah...along came OOo.

One of the drawbacks of using a new program is not being familiar with the features. I want to thank each of you, for helping to speed up the process by answering my questions. Speaking of which...I will start a new thread for my other questions that don't pertain to this subject...so as they don't get lost and can be helpful to others.

Thanks again,...have a wonderful day, Betsy Smile
Queensparker
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Saving into Word Reply with quote

This is something I do as a matter of course since all of my clients use Word.

If you save into Word some more complex formatting can get screwed up. I have had problems with the positioning of tables and footers. in particular. But more basic layout stuff is preserved fairly well. It helps if you have used the Stylist for formatting rather than done it 'on the fly'. If you are using Windows you should have Wordpad. You could save a copy of your document in .rtf format and then take a look at it in Wordpad.

If anything, I find the problems with graphics are worse the other way, importing from Word

Queensparker
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just posting this for the benefit of anyone finding this thread that has a similar problem to Betsy (needing to combine many files into a single document).

I've written a macro to combine several files into one Writer file. It can be found on OOoMacros at:
http://www.ooomacros.org/user.php#108803

Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: