OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Crashing Writer AND Crashing Crash Recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
someonesdad
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Crashing Writer AND Crashing Crash Recovery Reply with quote

I spent over 6 hours this afternoon creating a 20+ page document with lots of pictures pasted or linked in. I save my Writer documents every few minutes, having been burned by many word processors over the last 20+ years.

Alas, OO 2.0 crashed while I was editting. I usually see the recovery process work, but this time the recovery process also crashes (the Windows XP title bar for the app shows "(Not Responding)").

This was difficult technical material to write. Is there any way to recover it?

I will be upgrading shortly to the 2.0.4 version.
ginkyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello someonesdad,
Quote:
having been burned by many word processors over the last 20+ years.

You could try to copy all your document (CTRL+A, CTRL+C). And close Ooo, make a new OooText, next paste (CTRL+V) your clipboard.
You could try also to make a memtest.
Regards
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Crashing Writer AND Crashing Crash Recovery Reply with quote

someonesdad wrote:
having been burned by many word processors over the last 20+ years.

Me too ...for over 30 years. So, if important enough, I save to two places. If one crashes, I make another copy from the second and work again on that, still keeping two good copies to that point; something to consider when you start again. Also, starting from scratch has its benefits. I find that my second attempt [this process just keeps that smaller than having to redo the entire thing] often as not turns out better than the first, having the opportunity to write it with more thoughtfulness, and tweak where needed. Perhaps this attitude stems from a basic stubbornness, or from trying to solve a mess of math problems and winding up with scraps of paper until that "best" one is found. Think of it as a cup half full.

David.
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I save my Writer documents every few minutes ...

If by this you mean you do File > Save (or Ctrl+S), then you've only lost what you did since your last save. Just click "Cancel" when OOo offers to recover the file and you should be able to start normally and File > Open your last-saved version.

Sometimes OOo is "confused" when you cancel the recovery, so I would recommend that you cancel recovery, then exit OOo. The next startup should not offer to recover anything.

If that doesn't work, manually delete the "autosaved" copy that's fouling the recovery startup. I don't have Windows, so I can't tell you where that file is, unfortunately. If you can't find it. ask here and someone can tell you for sure.

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: