OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Caption problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goooner
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Caption problem Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I'm pretty new at using open office, but I've tried to configure my writer program to add captions to figures I insert in my documents.

It does seem to do this but as soon as I move the picture the caption does not seem to stick to the bottom of the picture, but rather move to the top or to somewhere else. The system also crashed the last two times I tried to insert a picture.

It also does not realize when I paste in a figure from my clipboard, and iI should then insert the caption manually. Are these known problems or am I doing something wrong?
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as soon as I move the picture the caption does not seem to stick to the bottom of the picture, ...

It's a little obscure. Adding a caption actually adds a frame with a caption text paragraph, and the image anchored to that paragraph. Unfortunately, objects anchored "To paragraph" in this way are free to move anywhere as you drag them, so there is no strong connection to the frame when you move the graphic.

Instead, drag the caption frame. You should see a light gray frame that encloses the caption and the graphic. That's the frame boundary. Click that: you should see green handles around the frame border. Now you can drag that, and the image and caption will stay together.

This has been filed as a defect (Issue 22704), but no specific time frame has been set for fixing it.

Quote:
It also does not realize when I paste in a figure from my clipboard, and iI should then insert the caption manually.

I can't find anything filed for this, and I don't see any reasonably convenient way to paste an image and then add a caption that uses the automatic caption settings that are applied when you do Insert > Picture.
Goooner
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. Its a pity though. Thought it could save me some work Sad Concerning putting a frame around everything. Guess I have to click on the frame style and insert a frame there. Does not seem to do it for every new picture though Question
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do a caption are you right clicking on the picture and choosing Caption? Also see AutoCaption in the Capion dialog.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Caption problem Reply with quote

Goooner wrote:
when I paste in a figure from my clipboard

You should paste your picture in a viewer or image editor, then tune the settings, save and insert in OOo from the Insert>From file menu.

When you paste a picture in OOo, it's considered as a .png in full colors. If it is a picture, the size will be very big compared to the same one saved in .jpg. If it is a drawing with few colors, reducing the color depth in an image editor will also reduce the size (without any quality loss, just check how many colors are used).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: