OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

easiest way to open a form at startup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kodiak11125

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: easiest way to open a form at startup Reply with quote

What is the easiest way for my users (factory workers not database saavy) to open the database and go right to the main form. I understand there is no "default form at startup" feature. As an alternative, if from the database window, my users right click and open a form, pretty soon somebody will accidentally click "design" and try to type in data, then close it to hide their mistake. Is there a shortcut key to open a form from the database window? I can't find one. I am new to BASE, but knowledgeable with ACCESS. Solving this problem will open many opportunities in my company to use BASE. Not solving it will prevent me from using BASE. thanks for any help.
wfrank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem and I'm also new to OOO Here is what I found within the last months:

You may create a form in base and save it as a separate Writer document. You have to edit it and adapt the dabase connection in the Form properties.
When you create a form in base its obvious what database it refers to. For a separate Document you have to edit the Form properties selecting the database and the table for the main form and the subforms. Thats not much to do. However you have still an editable Writer document. For presenting it like an application you should switch off most off the menues ... (this is what I have not done yet -- to make this a 100% job you need some macros to handle this.) )

I read some remarks that strongly recommended storing the form in a separate document. However may be this was good practice for OOO prior to 2.x I donīt know really. At the moment while working on the forms etc I prefer having all in one odb file.
The only reason not to do so is that you cannot start directly with the form. I'm not aware of other arguments .
(I highly recommend that you save your work regulary and keeping backup versions. While OOO base seems to be running stable, I found it easy to create some errors in my forms and SQL expressions that caused OOO to crash ) Confused

Another way to start direclty with the form / application may be a dialog that you create in a Calc or Writer document. Here it should be possible to display the dialog when the OOO document is opened and to hide the underlying OOO Application via macro.

OOO BASE seems to be something special. There seems to be no possibility to attach a macro to the opening of the base file.

And it should be possible to write a e.g. a java application that imports some OOO jar files (the API) to have the OOO functionality available but somehow hidden. Something like an application with the power of OOO in the background.
As the API is somehow language independent. It should also work with other programming languages.

At the moment, I think that I will keep the forms in the odb file during development and that I will export them as separate writer files later.

That's what I found until today
werner
wfrank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see also

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=43480

in this forum. Drew Jensen wrote down the steps for a standalone form document.

werner
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that you guys are all getting at is simply this - Base does not currently support a default form on startup. That sucks. Nor does the Base file have an event for On Open, that is assignable by the user. SO can't assign a macro to this event in other words - this also sucks. Both things are in the works for the future - but that doesn't help today.

There are two work arounds to that.

One is to launch your database from a macro call. The other is launch your database from a stand alone document - any type will do - writer is just my choice.

I agree that both are - kludges at best - but as far as i can tell there is no other way to support the functionalility.
tmcquoid
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew,
Why is this a bad thing? Writer or Calc gives us a window on a database with access to multiple tables and queries on one document. An admin can use it to give a user a view to a database in hsql or a multiuser enviroment thru odbc. What am I missing? Why isn't it an advantage, another tool to use?
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmcquoid wrote:
Drew,
Why is this a bad thing? Writer or Calc gives us a window on a database with access to multiple tables and queries on one document. An admin can use it to give a user a view to a database in hsql or a multiuser enviroment thru odbc. What am I missing? Why isn't it an advantage, another tool to use?

I am not saying that it is a bad thing. I am only speaking in the context of having a default form, one that would open automtically, when a Base file is opened. Similiar to a switchboard form in MS Access. From that stand point, alone, it is a kludge to use a stand alone form to launch the db, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is bad.

As an aside on this point. I noted today that work has begun on chaning this - the DatabaseDocument object is being reworked to allow macros to be stored inside the main document. I would think that this will mean we will then be able to assign a macro to the On Open Document event for a given database file. When that is possible then one can easily implement a default form on open.

There is no scheduled release for this new functionality - but given how things have been going with features I would guess it would be the next release - version 2.1.0 sometime in December I would think.
platon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Werner,

wfrank wrote:
For presenting it like an application you should switch off most off the menues ... (this is what I have not done yet -- to make this a 100% job you need some macros to handle this.)

Yea, that would be neat indeed! Have you found any way to do that yet? What would such a macro look like?

Thanks
Fabian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: