OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Document eats all memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lobo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Document eats all memory Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I created a 245 page document in OOO 1.1.4 about 1 1/2 years ago; meanwhile I updated OOO to 2.0.4 and I encounter servere problems opening this 'old' .sxw document now. The document opens quite quickly - but after about 1 minute OOO eats up all the RAM and OOO freezes.

This occurs on both, Windows and Linux.

Since the document contains confidential information I cannot put it online to test it.

My question is: Has somebody else encoutnered simmilar problems; and if so - what would you suggest to do?

Your help is appreciated!

el lobo
AlanDavidson
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Document eats all memory Reply with quote

lobo wrote:
The document opens quite quickly - but after about 1 minute OOO eats up all the RAM and OOO freezes.

As soon as the document opens, and before OOo hangs, do File > Save As

Save the file to a different name. This file will be saved in a more up-to-date format.
lobo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: ...same thing Reply with quote

Hi AlanDavidson,

did as you suggested; however the problem ist the same; so obviously the problem ist not the file format (.sxw or .odt) but the amout of memory to be used in OOo upon opening & working with the file.

I will try to re-install OOo 1.1.5 and I'll report if it worked.

tx

lobo
lobo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: here's the news Reply with quote

The document opens with OOo 1.1.5 easily - and it does not freeze!!! In 1.1.5 it can be edited, printed, everything works just fine.

So it's obvious that OOo 2.x does something different with the document. Having the document open needs 395 MB in the memory; in OOo 2.x it freezes after using 2.15 GB.

I tried another thing in OOo2.x - showing only frames instead of the inserted pictures and objects - but this doesn't help either.

I guess I'll have to report this in the issue tracker. Anyway - if someone has a clue why this happens or even what I can do, please let me know.

cu

el lobo
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: here's the news Reply with quote

lobo wrote:
The document opens with OOo 1.1.5 easily - and it does not freeze!!! In 1.1.5 it can be edited, printed, everything works just fine.

So it's obvious that OOo 2.x does something different with the document. Having the document open needs 395 MB in the memory; in OOo 2.x it freezes after using 2.15 GB.

I guess I'll have to report this in the issue tracker. Anyway - if someone has a clue why this happens or even what I can do, please let me know.

Sorry, I have no clue. But, if I had a document like yours I would try a "binary search". I would cut the document with OOo 1.1.5 in two parts (by deleting some pages) and save each part with a different filename. Then I would try to open each part in OOo 2.x. If one of the parts showes the same behaviour, I would start with that part the whole procedure again. Perhaps you can create a smaller document without confidential inforamtion that shows the problem in OOo 2.x.

Regards
hol.sten
acknak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently had someone recover a crashing document by, after the document loaded, quickly doing Ctrl+a (select all), Ctrl+c (copy to clipboard), Ctrl+w (close the doc before OOo locks up), then File > New and paste into the new document.

It's easy enough to be worth a try.

PS: If you want to include your document in a bug report, and you can edit it in 1.1.5, just do a Edit > Find, then search for: ([:lower:]), replace with: x and More Options > regular expressions: yes. This will obfuscate the content but keep the basic features of the document intact (and presumably the problem as well).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: