OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice says "General input/output error."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javaJake
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: OpenOffice says "General input/output error." Reply with quote

OpenOffice says "General input/output error." on Linux when writing to a mounted share on a Windows computer using cifs. I've told cifs to give everyone on my computer full permissions to write things on the mount, so it isn't that.

I also found that the file written by OOo when it attempts to save is created, but is only 0 bytes big. Razz

Any ideas? It's driving me crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you searched the forum ? there are many hits looking for "General input output error". If so, what have you tried that is of no help ?
javaJake
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Have you searched the forum ? there are many hits looking for "General input output error". If so, what have you tried that is of no help ?
You bet I've searched the forums. I haven't found anyone talking about a "General input/output error." anywhere that is on Linux, over a cifs partition, and happens every single time. The errors I've gotten have to do with the Windows version losing its lock on the file, or something like that. And for them it isn't consistent. It is for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the tip given in the user guide (also valid for *NIX systems) ?
Have you tried to rename your user profile folder to force OOo to create a new one ?
javaJake
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Have you tried the tip given in the user guide (also valid for *NIX systems) ?
Have you tried to rename your user profile folder to force OOo to create a new one ?
Could you point me to instructions for both of these? Thanks. (My user profile folder is .openoffice.org2 right? And the user guide - where's that located on a Debian system?)

Edit: On second thought, your second idea might not work because this affects any computer that attempts to save using OOo. All other programs are fine except OOo, too...
jwr
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter cifs and error as a search string:

Maybe one of these threads is helpful:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=40184&highlight=cifs+error
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=33515&highlight=cifs+error

Regards -Hans-
javaJake
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwr wrote:
Enter cifs and error as a search string:

Maybe one of these threads is helpful:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=40184&highlight=cifs+error
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=33515&highlight=cifs+error

Regards -Hans-
Your first link did the trick, but I noticed it disables file locking. A bug to be fixed, I think, and this is a mere workaround. Smile
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javaJake wrote:
Could you point me to instructions for both of these? Thanks. (My user profile folder is .openoffice.org2 right? And the user guide - where's that located on a Debian system?)
But :
javaJake wrote:
You bet I've searched the forums.
I should have.

Here is the OOo user guide proposal. For further details, run a search (a real one this time) in this forum. In addition to the threads given by jwr, there are some others about Linux and mounted file servers.
OOo user guide wrote:
What to to do with a General error General input/output error This error message indicates that the files script.xlc and dialog.xlc, could be missing or corrupted. Look for them in the directory
$HOME/.openoffice.org2/user/basic under *NIX
or, under Windows C:\Document and Settings\<username>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org<release>\user\basic.

To fix the problem, try exiting OpenOffice.org (including the Quickstarter, if any) and copy these from the directory <where_OOo_is_installed>/presets/basic/ under *NIX,
or, under Windows, from C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org <release>\presets\basic
to
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org <release>\user\basic

Note: To be absolutely safe, one could also delete the local settings directory; however,. the penalty for doing this is that it is possible tolose all personal settings and customizations.

NB: I've seen that a fix has been found in the mean time (with an efficient search) but I post this anyway. Perhaps it will help others, avoiding the user guide download.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: