OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to upgrade from 2.0.3 to 2.1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewald
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: How to upgrade from 2.0.3 to 2.1 Reply with quote

How do I go about upgrading from 2.0.3 to 2.1?
I would like to keep all my Templates, Styles and Default settings like default Templates for writer and calc.
9point9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just install on top and it should work fine. Templates, settings etc. are stored elsewhere and will be detected and used by the new version.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except the dictionaries settings. Don't forget to backup the folder <OOo main program folder>/share/dict/ooo.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if it's ok.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Except the dictionaries settings. Don't forget to backup the folder <OOo main program folder>/share/dict/ooo.

Are you kidding? What happens to the dictionaries and any related settings?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At each upgrade, the /share/dict/ooo folder is overwritten by the new one. So you loose any customization (installed dicts and removed ones). I noticed that on XP but also on Linux, except that installed dicts in the user profile are kept of course ; but I get again the whole bunch of exotic dicts delivered out of the box.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you update your OOo to get rid of bugs, you will get the Czech and Swalihi dictionaries again and again.

But please clarify: if had the Danish dictionary selected as the default dictionary everywhere before upgrading to OOo 2.1. What will happen to that setting?

After upgrading to 2.1 I noticed that the ABC symbol next to DANISH is gone and that spell check of Danish words doesn't work. Sun wants me to install the Danish dictionary again???
Untel
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm downloading the 2.1 right now...
Came here to read users' experiences...
And can't believe the problem about the dictionary/spelling preferences not being retained though the update is still around.
(http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=38763)

For example, when I update Firefox, all my preferences are saved. How come they can't do this simple thing with OOo?

At least I've been warned, will save the <OOo main program folder>/share/dict/ooo folder

//edit: the file Linguistic.xcu wasn't overwritten this time.

... and what else? *sigh*

Why do they insist on dumping those czech, swahili, etc languages on us? If I chose the english version, I should get english dialects; if I chose the french version, the french dialects, etc. And download whatever else I need.

And when I update, I expect such fundamental things like dictionaries and spelling preferences to be intact. Great programmers, but still learning alot in the user interaction department...

(submit a bug report? I've done that with some other bug, which hasn't been touched in 6 months, so won't go that route again)
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken to putting any customised dictionaries and the like in a separate folder (openoffice-extras) and linking components to appropriate places within the software directory.

Mind you, I've also taken to not updating.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaaredyret wrote:
And if you update your OOo to get rid of bugs, you will get the Czech and Swalihi dictionaries again and again.

But please clarify: if had the Danish dictionary selected as the default dictionary everywhere before upgrading to OOo 2.1. What will happen to that setting?

After upgrading to 2.1 I noticed that the ABC symbol next to DANISH is gone and that spell check of Danish words doesn't work. Sun wants me to install the Danish dictionary again???

Did anyone else experience this? Can anyone confirm that settings for additionally downloaded dictionaries (that are used as default dictionary and language) is lost when upgrading?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaaredyret wrote:
if had the Danish dictionary selected as the default dictionary everywhere before upgrading to OOo 2.1. What will happen to that setting?

It is kept because this is a setting saved in the user profile folder. But as the dictionary has been deleted, the spell check doesn't work.

Kaaredyret wrote:
Yes.
noranthon wrote:
I've taken to putting any customised dictionaries and the like in a separate folder (openoffice-extras) and linking components to appropriate places within the software directory.

This is a good idea. I just tried to put the content of the /share/dict/ooo folder in <OOo user profile>/user/worbook (dictionary.lst + dictionaries), same as Linux, and it works. So, I keep a dictionary.lst file with my added dicts (French) here and it is taken into account in parallel with the dictionary.lst and the standard dicts in the main program folder. But I still have to edit the standard dictionary.lst to remove all the unwanted dictionaries at each upgrade.

I agree this is a really annoying behavior, I though everyone had put up with it.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Kaaredyret wrote:
if had the Danish dictionary selected as the default dictionary everywhere before upgrading to OOo 2.1. What will happen to that setting?

It is kept because this is a setting saved in the user profile folder. But as the dictionary has been deleted, the spell check doesn't work.

Kaaredyret wrote:
Yes.

Thanks a lot for the answer, Hagar.

Okay,enough is enough. I have had it. I can only classify OOo 2.1 as an early beta of an office suite. All these bugs and all the waiting, it is just too much. And when the dictionary is working, its inferior to any other spell checker with wrong or disastrous suggestions: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=194307#194307

I have helped OOo with a website (cost me time and money), I have helped users here, I have been waiting for 5+ years for small issues. I have filed issues, been in contact with developers, helped them, and all I got was more waiting and OOo Later. They can't seriously ask us to wait for several years for small features and to backup and restore settings whenever we update OpenOffice with bug fixes (4 times a year). Enough.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems it has never been reported so I've opened a bug report : http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=72559
Ahriman
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have upgraded from OOo 2.0.4 to 2.1.0, and I can confirm that my spanish theasaurus and syllabic hyphenator have not been maintained in the upgrade and I have been obliged to reinstall them.

However, the dictionary Wizard that I had upgraded in 2.0.4 has made successfully the trip to 2.1.0, so this is an 1 to 1 in the upgrade score. Rolling Eyes
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenOffice is not alone in this respect. I always have to copy dictionary files across when installing a new version of Thunderbird.

It's a small enough chore if you know about it, which is where the installation instructions need to be augmented. It may be possible to get them amended faster than a change to the installer itself.
dmd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded from 2.0.4 to 2.1 yesterday and my English (GB) dictionary was not affected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: