OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Line chart, x-axis scaled by date, Major interval 1 Month

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Line chart, x-axis scaled by date, Major interval 1 Month Reply with quote

I am trying to create a chart of currency values over time, to replace a chart that I had setup in MS Excel

I have two columns of data, the date, and the value of an account at that date.

The date is on the X-axis, and the currency value is on the Y-Axis

I originally created the chart as a line chart, but this didn't allow me to change the scale on the X-Axis.

The chart was re-created as an X-Y chart, which looks identical, and allowed me to change the scale on the X-Axis.

The problem is that the scaling is in days, and I would like to scale the date by months, and not every month has the same number of days in it.

Someone else posted the same question here: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=47331&highlight=chart+scale+date

But the answer, to change the chart to a line chart won't work, as a line chart didn't allow me to change the scale of the X-Axis.

Is there any way to scale a date by months, instead of days?

Last edited by Panik on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Line chart, x-axis scaled by date values Reply with quote

Panik wrote:
I am trying to create a chart of currency values over time, to replace a chart that I had setup in MS Excel

I have two columns of data, the date, and the value of an account at that date.

The date is on the X-axis, and the currency value is on the Y-Axis

I originally created the chart as a line chart, but this didn't allow me to change the scale on the X-Axis.

The chart was re-created as an X-Y chart, which looks identical, and allowed me to change the scale on the X-Axis.

The problem is that the scaling is in days, and I would like to scale the date by months, and not every month has the same number of days in it.

Someone else posted the same question here: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=47331&highlight=chart+scale+date

But the answer, to change the chart to a line chart won't work, as a line chart didn't allow me to change the scale of the X-Axis.

Is there any way to scale a date by months, instead of days?

Hi Panik
So what you want to do is have a x-axis with the scale in months but irregularly spaced based on the number of days in a month?. I don't know if you can do this, in that the x-axis tick marks seem to be based on a regular interval based on whatever the x-axis variables are.
Panik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Line chart, x-axis scaled by date values Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:

So what you want to do is have a x-axis with the scale in months but irregularly spaced based on the number of days in a month?. I don't know if you can do this, in that the x-axis tick marks seem to be based on a regular interval based on whatever the x-axis variables are.

Yes, that's what I want to do, so that the Major interval on the X-Axis is 1 Month, and the labels say "Jan 2005, Feb 2006... etc", and correspond to the 1st day of each month.

At the moment I can set the Major interval to 30 days, and the date format to "MMM YYYY", and I get: "Dec 2005, Dec 2005, Jan 2006, March 2006"

Some months are duplicated, and other omitted.

This is something that Excel could do, and I originally had this spreadsheet in Excel, so I have lost this bit of formatting.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Line chart, x-axis scaled by date values Reply with quote

Panik wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:

Yes, that's what I want to do, so that the Major interval on the X-Axis is 1 Month, and the labels say "Jan 2005, Feb 2006... etc", and correspond to the 1st day of each month.

At the moment I can set the Major interval to 30 days, and the date format to "MMM YYYY", and I get: "Dec 2005, Dec 2005, Jan 2006, March 2006"

Some months are duplicated, and other omitted.

This is something that Excel could do, and I originally had this spreadsheet in Excel, so I have lost this bit of formatting.

I'm not a great Calc expert but I don't think you can do this. One place where OOo is definately weaker than Excel is in the Charting module which reportedly is being rewriten to be a bit more sophisticated.

Perhaps some one with more experience in the charting module can help?
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to aggregate the amounts?
Date Amount
[October data]
2006-11-1 100
2006-11-2 200
[December data]
You want the graph sum up 300 for November 2006?
Hu, Excel can do that without pivot tables?
Panik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Can't be done Reply with quote

Villeroy wrote:

Nope.

I want to scale the X-Axis of the chart by the date, with the Major interval set to one month, rather than some number of days

I can do everything, except set the Major interval to be one month.

This is possible in Excel, but as jrkrideau said:
jrkrideau wrote:
I don't think you can do this. One place where OOo is definately weaker than Excel is in the Charting module

Thanks for you help everyone, I guess I'll just have to wait until the charting module functionality catches up with Excel. Sad
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Can't be done Reply with quote

Panik wrote:
Villeroy wrote:

Nope.

I want to scale the X-Axis of the chart by the date, with the Major interval set to one month, rather than some number of days

I can do everything, except set the Major interval to be one month.

This is possible in Excel, but as jrkrideau said:
jrkrideau wrote:
I don't think you can do this. One place where OOo is definately weaker than Excel is in the Charting module

Thanks for you help everyone, I guess I'll just have to wait until the charting module functionality catches up with Excel. Sad

Sad Unfortunately that's true. The alternative is to use a dedicated graphing package (which will give you higher quality graphs than any spreadsheet) and insert the results in any text document you are working with. Let's hope the new Calc module is out soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: