OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Assign the font color of a text to another

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobias_9999

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Assign the font color of a text to another Reply with quote

In MS Word (my version is 2002) there is an easy way to assign the font color of a text to another. This is because in MS Word the font color selection box always marks the color of the text the cursor is in with a square frame. You just have to select the marked color and the new color is set in the font color selection box. Now it is very easy to assign the new color to another text. In OpenOffice (my version is 2.0.4) there are two font color selection boxes. The default one works like a font painter, the other one (hidden in the toolbar --> customize --> format) works similar. But in both the color of the text the cursor is in is not marked with a square frame. Is there a way to call up or integrate this useful feature in OpenOffice? In my opinion other ways (for example copy/paste, the format brush or the F11 dialog) are intricate.
wditch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Formatting toolbar there are a couple of buttons that set font color and highlighted color (and a third which does the background of an area).
If you pick a color from the drop-down arrow at the right of one of these buttons, the most recently used color will appear as a horizontal bar on the icon. This color becomes the default. To apply this color to some other text, click the left of the icon (not the arrow) and then apply the color using the paint pot tool. (Either drag an area or click the mouse 2-4 times to select a word, sentence or paragraph.)

Use the Format Paintbrush to copy existing formatting from one piece of text to another.
Tobias_9999

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Walter,

thank you very much for your fast answer. But I think you misunderstood my question. I know how to assign color to a text with the paint pot tool or by selecting the text and clicking the font color button. My question was: Is there a feature in OpenOffice similar to MS Word to transfer the font color from one text to the other. To illustrate my question I have made a screenshot of Word 2002:

(You are right, with the format paintbrush you can transfer the font color, too. But you also assign things like width or size, too. But I only want to assign the color and nothing else. An alternative would be the F11 dialog, but the feature in Word is easier and more intuitive to me.)
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand well, you just want the color to be marked in order to see what kind of color it is in the palette. And then, select the text to be modified and select this very color (no drag'n drop action invloved from one part of the text to another).

If so, you should create a enhancement request after creating an account here : http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/query.cgi. I've checked, it doesn't seem to have been requested yet.
wditch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that!

Ironically Draw has a Color bar which you CAN use just to apply color to text (or other objects). It doesn't seem to show the color of existing highlighted text though. Perhaps this might give you something to point at if you asked for a feature upgrade.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This enhancement has been requested. Vote for this issue:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=69900
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Assign the font color of a text to another Reply with quote

Tobias_9999 wrote:
In MS Word (my version is 2002) there is an easy way to assign the font color of a text to another. This is because in MS Word the font color selection box always marks the color of the text the cursor is in with a square frame. You just have to select the marked color and the new color is set in the font color selection box. Now it is very easy to assign the new color to another text. In OpenOffice (my version is 2.0.4) there are two font color selection boxes. The default one works like a font painter, the other one (hidden in the toolbar --> customize --> format) works similar. But in both the color of the text the cursor is in is not marked with a square frame. Is there a way to call up or integrate this useful feature in OpenOffice? In my opinion other ways (for example copy/paste, the format brush or the F11 dialog) are intricate.

The F11 dialoge is , well not intricate, but different. Smile However it is doing something different from just assigning a colour from the formmatting bar. When you use the fromatting bar you are "hard formatting" the colour, when you use a style (F11) you are assigning a completely new style to the text.

While using the colour selection box may be faster it also means that you cannot make any global changes to the colour/format which you can do by using a style.
Tobias_9999

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Issue 69900 Reply with quote

Hi BillP, hi jrkrideau,

you are right BillP, this enhancement has been requested (issue 69900). In this request a user wants to solve a similar problem:

Quote:
Let's say I have set the background color of a paragraph to a light gray, but on further reflection, the color is a little too dark; I want to set it to the next lighter shade. I click on the "Background Color" item in the toolbar and the color picker pops up. Which swatch is the right one? I have to remember the color name I last picked, or I have to guess based on comparing the display of the current paragraph to the small swatch in the picker--a difficult task for similar colors. If the picker indicated the current color, as the full Format > Paragraph > Background dialog does, it would be trivially easy to pick the next lighter shade.

So for this problem the F11 dialog, suggested by jrkrideau of Canada, wouldn't be useful. Thus I'll vote for issue 69900.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Issue 69900 Reply with quote

Tobias_9999 wrote:
Hi BillP, hi jrkrideau,

you are right BillP, this enhancement has been requested (issue 69900). In this request a user wants to solve a similar problem:

Quote:
Let's say I have set the background color of a paragraph to a light gray, but on further reflection, the color is a little too dark; I want to set it to the next lighter shade. I click on the "Background Color" item in the toolbar and the color picker pops up. Which swatch is the right one? I have to remember the color name I last picked, or I have to guess based on comparing the display of the current paragraph to the small swatch in the picker--a difficult task for similar colors. If the picker indicated the current color, as the full Format > Paragraph > Background dialog does, it would be trivially easy to pick the next lighter shade.

So for this problem the F11 dialog, suggested by jrkrideau of Canada, wouldn't be useful. Thus I'll vote for issue 69900.

I really don't see why the Style does not work. Say you have a Style called Colour (very imaginative name Smile ) with a grey background. You apply it, you don't like it. You bring up the Style, the applied colour is indicated in the Background tab and you apply the next one over. What am I missing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: