OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Greek letters displayed as name [solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wellis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Greek letters displayed as name [solved] Reply with quote

Greek letters entered in Mark-up language like "%lambda" have suddenly started displaying by name like "lambda" instead of as the intended Greek letter. This is in documents that are already littered with correctly-displayed Greek letters. Once I start editing any particular formula, the Greek letters in that formula stop displaying properly. Anybody have any ideas?
wellis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebooting (the 3-fingered Windows salute, CTRL-ALT-Delete) seemed to fix it. Sorry if I upset anyone.
wellis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Greek letters turn into text Reply with quote

My Greek-letter lambda's appear as text "lambda" instead of as a Greek letter. At first, the problem went away if I rebooted. That doesn't work anymore.

The problem may have to do with my using Courier New as my default font, while it appears OOo uses Times New Roman as the default font for rendering Greek letters. Now, I can usually I can fix a formula by changing lambda in the Greek-letter catalog to a different font & then changing it back to Times New Roman. But as soon as I try to open & edit the formula again, the lambda's turn back into text. The problem is becoming very frustrating and time-consuming, so much so that i may have to abandon Open Office if I can't get my formulas to stay put.
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you running under -- XP or what? I assume by your reference to Courier New that you are using an MS OS. I've never come across this when I've used Math. Also the MS Courier New font includes the Greek characters.

I've had a search in the Math topic for Greek and can't find anything. Sorry
wellis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using XP. I've taken to defining a second way the Greek letters that are blowing up on my system. So, my workaround for lambda is using %llambda, and %ggamma for gamma. Even though I've defined Courier New as my default font, the standard Greek letters that come with Math seem to be in Times New Roman. Perhaps the problem has to do with my installing some math fonts a while back. . . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: