OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OSX Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quickie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: OSX Problem Reply with quote

I've discovered OOo a couple of months ago and i love it. I've uninstalled ms office and am using OOo instead.

I have however encountered a problem on my Intel C2D macbook. I managed to get x11 installed ad OOo but there is a weird issue. OOo only boots in to the writer program when i click the icon on the dock.There are no sort of icons to open offce programs either that I can see. I think i installed it wrong but i dont know.

Can anyone help? Thanks
Lindakay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Mine boots to Writer only too! Reply with quote

Having same trouble as original poster.

Santa brought me a new iMac G5 for xmas. Installed X11 for 10.4 and then downloaded OOo. OOo Window only displays three items, one of which is .org.2.1.app. Clicking on this icon runs Writer only.

Downloaded OOo twice with same result. Read someplace that Safari (Mac browser) has problems downloading somethings. Tried using Firefox but it said a 3 hour download. Will try again later.

Any suggestions, help?
9point9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue has been seen many times before but I've not seen any way that seems a good fix it. The proposed fix is to do File > New > [filetype] from in Writer and you will get the other components.

It surprises me there is no good way round this and I'm not a Mac user so have no idea on domestics but OOo is a single program and when 'soffice' is run you by default get Writer. If you run swriter, scalc, sdraw, sbase etc. you would get the individual components. You somehow need to run these commands somewhere on your Mac to get a decent workaround.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Lindakay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Problem Solved? Reply with quote

Not an elegant solution, but it will do for now. Thanks a bunch. Very Happy
quickie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading this i was less than satisified. but when trying this it seemed to work ok. i just hope that they somehow allow you to open differen OOo apps in a future update.
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they don't currently stop you from doing so, you just have to run them yourself. All of the standard Linux/BSD installs will be exactly the same, it's just you have to install a desktop integration package specific to the distro. On Apple Mac this is not available but it should be easy enough to invoke them all yourself. There must be a command line somewhere on a Mac so you will be able to run them each.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
freiheit
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Mac's terminal command line Reply with quote

Indeed there is a command line (look for a program in your Applications -> Utilities folder called Terminal). Keep in mind that in MacOSX most "applications" are a complete folder with all the supporting files contained within. The soffice executable program is only one of the files contained inside but it is run automatically when you double click the OpenOffice.org icon from Finder.

So the way to run individual apps is to launch them from the command line by going into the sub-folder where soffice is and running the appropriate other executable. You could also make a shell script or possibly an AppleScript script to do this for you and double click that script from Finder.

Not elegant but it works. And yes, once OOo is open (to Writer by default) going to the OpenOffice.org menu and choosing New allows you to open any of the programs (Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress, etc.).

Be aware there is also NeoOffice which is a more "Mac-like" version of OpenOffice.org (check www.neooffice.com). This also typically launches straight into Writer but doesn't require X11.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not have the advantage of a desktop integration script but it is a simple matter on Linux to create separate menu shortcuts (or icons) for each module, using the application identifier as a suffix to the main command, e.g. openoffice.org-2.0 -calc

It mystifies me that you cannot do that on a Mac computer. Apple seems to be even more jealous of third party software than the Linux distros.

Scripts seem to be your best choice.
quickie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon wrote:
I did not have the advantage of a desktop integration script but it is a simple matter on Linux to create separate menu shortcuts (or icons) for each module, using the application identifier as a suffix to the main command, e.g. openoffice.org-2.0 -calc

It mystifies me that you cannot do that on a Mac computer. Apple seems to be even more jealous of third party software than the Linux distros.

Scripts seem to be your best choice.

Indeed. I have seen this on linux but I havent even been using mac for a week so i wouldnt know how to do it.
jakeosx
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have written applescript icons that will open into specific programs. you can find information here:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com
jakeosx
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, this is a better link:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Launcher_-_Developer
jakeosx
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mac's terminal command line Reply with quote

freiheit wrote:
Indeed there is a command line (look for a program in your Applications -> Utilities folder called Terminal). Keep in mind that in MacOSX most "applications" are a complete folder with all the supporting files contained within. The soffice executable program is only one of the files contained inside but it is run automatically when you double click the OpenOffice.org icon from Finder.

to run openoffice.org from a command line you will need to use XTerm in X11, not Terminal. while to the user the same thing, openoffice.org needs X11 to work, and cannot be called from Terminal for this reason.

there is information in my sig WRT opening openoffice.org manually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: