OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Microsoft Office Compatibility - Right-Click New Menu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert_w_brandt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Microsoft Office Compatibility - Right-Click New Menu Reply with quote

This is not really a problem with OOo, but rather a problem with Stupid End-Users. So here is little background.

We have successfully rolled out OOo to our entire company (1200+ users) The problem is that the the rest of the world still uses MSO. At first we were receiving a lot of complaints that documents we (as in my stupid end-users) were unable to be opened by other companies we do business with.....

Even after all the training; how to SaveAs, SaveAsPDF ..... they (stupid end-users) were still unable to properly use a computer. And my recommendation of taking the computer away from them was shot down by upper management. (They are some of the worst offenders!)

So we setup all the OOo installations to use XSL, DOC ... as their default save type. That with the ability OOo has to open the MSO documents by default fixed the problem. Almost!

Okay, Background / Rant over.

Seems some of the SEU (Stupid End-Users) are unable to create a document without using the Right-Click | NEW menu. Problem is that in an OOo installation it includes the options to create ODF documents from this menu, but does not take the default save type into consideration. So that documents created through this method are ODF docs and not MSO docs.

I understand why, this happens and I am able to fix the problem using TweakUI. but I need to push this fix out to a large number of workstations.

Using TweakUI, I found the registry changes on my workstation that need to be changed and the files in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates" directory. But this hack does not seem to work on other workstation and there is no way to script TweakUI.

Does anyone know how this might be done? Reason I am posting it here is that the answer could be useful to other admins looking for a nearly 100% drop replacement for MSO.

Thanks
Bob
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you use an archive manager to make an auto-extractible file of the templates that will be unzipped automatically in the right folder ? Just an idea, I haven't tested such operation.
robert_w_brandt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly that, I used WINRAR (Great program) to make an EXE that puts the files in the correct location and then runs a REG hack.

I just spoke to the Helpdesk, and if looks like the program I created did work! Problem was I tested it on a number of Helpdesk PCs first and it did not work on those few test machines, but it works perfectly on the production PCs?? Our guess is that the Helpdesk PCs have god-knows-what loaded on them including multiple versions of OpenOffice.

I would upload the file I have, but there doesn't seem to be a attachment option. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need to modify manually the base of registry to take into account the modifications in the templates folder ? Perhaps a mere reboot is enough. I can't test it, I'm on Linux right now.

I don't think it is linked to the OOo version. Have the files in the templates folder been modified ?
robert_w_brandt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tested that theory and the placing of files and a reboot does not add a menu item.

However you are right, deleting the files will remove the menu option after a reboot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: