OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Recall Custmer Info on Form.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lek
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Recall Custmer Info on Form. Reply with quote

Ok, not really sure what to title this thread so named as is....not even sure how to search it...lol. Life would be so easy with a third the knowledge as many here....though I do read and learn what little i grasp....

In any event, this is what I am looking to do.

I have customers for which I do estimates for.
I use several different forms which use their base information.
I am looking not to type in customer info in every new estimate.

So...
Created a database with 20+ fields of information (some might be used on one but maybe not another form)

When I open let's say and estimate sheet, I want to be able to either type in their ID number and have the text boxes fill in with corresponding information or have a drop down with auto fill that would fill in their last name and then have all corresponding information fill in.

I though I could do that an easy way with a record search but I am not understanding how to do that in the help file....thought maybe absolute record would help but database ID starts at zero, not one.

Hoping this has a simple answer for this as I am not looking to create anything too complicated, just make life a little easier and estimating a little quicker....or even a hard answer i might be able to learn.

Thanks,
Bob
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a basic merge operation and I'll use the Bibliography database to demonstrate.

Open a new Writer document and press F4 to open the data source viewer. Click the + by Bibliography, do the same with Tables and click biblio. The records will appear on the right with field names above them. Drag & drop a couple of different field names into the document wherever you like.

Make sure View > Field Names is off. Select one of the records by clicking the gray button to its left then click the Data to Fields icon which is found above the field names. The data for this record should now replace the field names in the document.

Select a different record and click the icon again to change the information in the document. Normally, at this point, you would want to save this document as a template so it is ready for future use.

Assuming you let Base register your database as a data source then you should find it in the F4 viewer. If not, right click in the left pane of the viewer and select Register Databases.
banditv1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an idea, You could make your form so that the customer information is displayed all the time. and then add you estimate form as a sub form. Then you can arrange the form to your liking. I know this is not the quickest answer but it may get you buy until a more advanced user can help you.

Missed johnv 's post Laughing His way should work better.
Lek
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all,
As soon as I get a chance to get back to this I will give this a try.
Lek
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.....here is my problem......Data to Fields Icon?....not sure i have one.

Aside from that, I would still have to go through a list of what could be hundreds of names to find the customer row to click.

Looking for a way not to have to do that.

But one step at a time i suppose.....where is the icon?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the icon?

When you press F4 a new toolbar should appear below the Format toolbar. It has 20 icons, the first looks like a floppy disk and the last contains 2 green arrows. It also has binoculars so you can search for your client. Data to Fields is the 4th from right and will be inactive until you select a record.

Unfortunately you will have to take a somewhat drastic step if this toolbar is missing. If so please indicate your OS.
Lek
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope...no tool bar.....lol...i love this stuff......

Ok...windows 2000 and I am not using open office but SO8 patch 5.
I have had since SO6 so never had changed (did not know OO back then and did not see the difference)

Would that be a difference and if so....is open office better?

oh, just another note...prior to updating to new patch I was able to make manual list entries in a list box...no longer can do that. Figured i'd mention it.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is open office better?
No, just free. It is the code base upon which SO is built then Sun adds some bells & whistles.

Close SO and the QuickStarter, if active.

You will find the "user" directory here (from memory as I'm on Win98 at the moment):
C:\Documents and Setting\User Name\Application Data\OpenOffce.org2\user

Application Data is a hidden directory so I hope you have W2K setup to show them.

Move the user directory to your desktop. Start SO and it will create a new user directory and treat you as a new installation. See if the missing toolbar is there. Check your other problem. If all is OK fine, otherwise uninstall and reinstall SO though you might try a Repair first.

The user diectory and its subdirectories hold all your personal settings. When all is OK you can retrieve some of them like basic macros and templates by replacing the appropriate new subdirectories with the ones from the old user directory.

Hopefully this is not a problem related to the latest patch because you will have to reapply it. Some OOo users also see the problem so I think it's just some glitch buried deep in the user directory.

Last edited by JohnV on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lek
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating......I downloaded OO and there is the tool bar.
Unloaded the latest SO patch, no difference, no tool bar.

I will take a look at this.
I appreciate your responses and help and if it does not work....will just us OO.
Lek
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You!!!!

Reload of user file replaced missing tool bar.

Of other note:
OO 2.1 does not allow you to manual add entries into List Entries on Control.
SO patch 2 (i had not downloaded a patch in a while till 5 a few days ago and deleted thinking it could be a problem)) does allow manual entry into List entries on Control. This older patch version also does not have a Name Object on right click drop down list.

So....bug in SO8 patch 2? regarding manual list entries....
or Bug in OO2.1 / SO8 patch 5?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reload of user file replaced missing tool bar.
Great, did the simple restart of SO fix you up or did you need to do more? This answer will help us help others because if no uninstall/reinstall was required that is what we have often instructed without suggesting a simple restart.

I don't use List controlls so I won't comment on that.
Lek
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, followed your directions and moved the user file to desktop (did take just a wee bit to find it), re-opened StarOffice and that solved the missing tool bar issue.
I then deleted the old user file, so had to reset a few preferences but besides that, no problem at all.

That re-set also seemed to solve the issue in the record search that i was having too.

Again, Thanks.
Lek
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just of note....list box manual entry issue solved....simple......

Link: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=202011#202011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: