OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

"Help" Module crashes OO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravel1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: "Help" Module crashes OO Reply with quote

Can someone help me with this, please? Whenever I access the "Help" module from any OOo application, it works just fine until I attempt to close "Help". Then everything locks and I can only escape by closing from the task bar, which then closes any and every OOo app open at the time. I must then go through the Recovery process to retrieve the document, spreadsheet or database that I was working on.
Is this a bug with 2.1? I can't seem to locate anyone else having this problem in the forums.
I am using the latest OOo installation (and have tried "Repair" in the installation, but to no avail.
Windows 2000. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, ravel1. Have you tried renaming your settings folder? That is often the source of strange problems which arise after the software has been used without incident for a time. Renaming instead of deleting enables you to reinstate the folder if the problem persists.

Another possibility: did you check the integrity of your 2.1 download using the md5sum procedure?

This is the correct forum for your question. I've deleted the duplicate thread 51916 in General Discussion.
ravel1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Settings folder? Reply with quote

Hi Noranthon - I do not know which settings folder that you mean. I can't find a settings folder in OOo program file.
I tried to validate the checksum as you suggested. When I used digestIT to "Verify the MD5hash" by pasting the checksum, it consistently returned the message "This does not appear to be a valid message digest." I have copied and pasted the "calculated MD5hash" from digestIT on the next line with the MD5sum from this site below it. I don't see a difference.

70893316029439f792ad425826f57ecf OOo_2.1.0_Win32Intel_install_en-US.exe
70893316029439f792ad425826f57ecf OOo_2.1.0_Win32Intel_install_en-US.exe

Thank you very much for your attention to my request. I appreciate your help. I'm baffled by this behavior of OOo, as I have been using it for over 2 years without any real problems (until now.)
ravel1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: The Culprit Reply with quote

Hi noranthon - I think that I have found the problem. I have Copernica Desktop Search installed and enabled to start with Windows. When I terminated CDS from the taskbar, OOo applications then work fine with the Help module. I have tried closing all other programs (one at a time) to see what the outcome with OOo would be, but CDS is the bugger. I guess that I will have to only allow CDS to run when I don't need OOo and then everything will be alright. Or I might have to find a different Search application. I really do like the speed and detail of CDS, but I can learn to adapt. OOo is much more important to me.
Thank you for your assistance...ravel1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: