OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Calc: Importing Excel files with charts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaviN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Calc: Importing Excel files with charts Reply with quote

I've installed the most current release of OO for XP. I have tried to import some simple Excel files that have charts with multiple data series on them into OO Chart. Unfortunately, only one series of the several will show. I saw a couple of posts on this forum that referred to fixes from one to two years ago - I assume that these would be part of the new builds.

Advice appreciated.

--- Ravi
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Calc: Importing Excel files with charts Reply with quote

RaviN wrote:
I've installed the most current release of OO for XP. I have tried to import some simple Excel files that have charts with multiple data series on them into OO Chart. Unfortunately, only one series of the several will show. I saw a couple of posts on this forum that referred to fixes from one to two years ago - I assume that these would be part of the new builds.

Advice appreciated.

--- Ravi

Can you post examples of both the Excel and the Calc files? A handy place to do this is at mytempdir.com at http://www.mytempdir.com . This sounds like it may be difficult to diagnose without the files. Also can you supply the links to the older posts?

Thanks
RaviN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Calc: Importing Excel files with charts Reply with quote

Quote:

Can you post examples of both the Excel and the Calc files? A handy place to do this is at mytempdir.com at http://www.mytempdir.com . This sounds like it may be difficult to diagnose without the files. Also can you supply the links to the older posts?

Thanks

I can't post the actual sheet unfortunately due to the nature of the data that are in it. I'll see if I can replicate the problem with an arbitrary data set when I can get on a machine with Excel.

Meantime, here is one of the two older articles I found - I'm having trouble locating the other one:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=47380&highlight=importing+excel+charts

In my case, the chart limits and legends are not properly brought in from Excel. At first, no data series show due to the axes limits being off. When I rescale them, one data series shows up. In the corresponding Excel sheet, there were several series.

Thanks,

--- Ravi
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Calc charts need the data for multiple series to be in a fairly specific layout, whereas Excel is more flexible. (At least I haven't found a flexible method in Calc.)

Thus if your Excel original is in a layout that Calc can't make sense of, perhaps it will only do the first series. Perhaps search the forum for chart multiple series or similar? If you're lucky, maybe a minor tweak to the layout in Excel will allow Calc to open it ok. Confused
RaviN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickRandom wrote:
I think Calc charts need the data for multiple series to be in a fairly specific layout, whereas Excel is more flexible. (At least I haven't found a flexible method in Calc.)

Thus if your Excel original is in a layout that Calc can't make sense of, perhaps it will only do the first series. Perhaps search the forum for chart multiple series or similar? If you're lucky, maybe a minor tweak to the layout in Excel will allow Calc to open it ok. Confused

Thanks. I checked the forum with those keywords and a few others and think that I may have to wait until the new chart engine comes out. In the meantime, I found references to Gnumeric in a couple of threads. I tried this package and it read the Excel files with the charts quite readily. So, for now I have a solution.

My general impressions of OO/MS compatibility are that Writer is the most similar to its counterpart, Impress has a lot of differences, and Calc is somewhere in between.
On the other hand, I hope that OO/Gnu will catch on so that people will create documents in them and make Office conversions much less necessary. Remarkable software and free, to boot!

Best,

--- Ravi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: