OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice.org Database

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bobmac
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice.org Database Reply with quote

Folks,

I'm a total novice where it comes to linux and I'm just starting to find my way around Mandriva 2007. When I installed the o/s OpenOffice was automatically installed and with it the OpenOffice.org Database.

When I go to create my very first database, I get the following message:
OpenOffice.org requires a Java runtinme environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice.org. \

I then checked the OpenOffice.org Base screen help which told me to go to the Sun site and download the JRE.

I have downloaded what seemed to be the appropriate package (jre-6-linux-i586-rpm.binjre-6-linux-i586-rpm.bin). However, I'm not sure if it is the correct one and now that I've downloaded it I don't know how to install it so that OpenOffice.org Base will recognise it.

Any help for a complete novice will be gratefully received.

Bob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hol.sten
Super User
Super User


Joined: 14 Nov 2004
Posts: 3533
Location: Hamburg, Germany

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice.org Database Reply with quote

bobmac wrote:
When I go to create my very first database, I get the following message:
OpenOffice.org requires a Java runtinme environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice.org. \

First check your Java settings in OOo: "Tools" > "Options..." > "OpenOffice.org" > "Java". Are there any JREs listed?
- If so, enable one.
- If not, proceed with your downloaded file or check a Mandriva forum on how to install Java on Mandriva 2007.

bobmac wrote:
I then checked the OpenOffice.org Base screen help which told me to go to the Sun site and download the JRE.

Which site did you try?

bobmac wrote:
I have downloaded what seemed to be the appropriate package (jre-6-linux-i586-rpm.binjre-6-linux-i586-rpm.bin). However, I'm not sure if it is the correct one and now that I've downloaded it I don't know how to install it

First, go to http://www.java.com.
Second, look for the Link Manual Download.
Third, download your Linux installation file and follow the Instructions near your download button.

bobmac wrote:
so that OpenOffice.org Base will recognise it.

See above.

Regards
hol.sten
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group