OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

memory problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcragun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: memory problem Reply with quote

I'm using version 2.1 of OpenOffice and keep having a problem with memory issues. I use it on two separate computers, a brand new laptop with an Intel core duo and a 2.6 ghz AMD processor on my desktop. I can't seem to figure out why or how or even when, but every few hours, for no apparent reason, the memory usage of soffice.bin goes through the roof - up to 100mb+. It keeps building for about 5 minutes then caps off at about 150mb of memory then returns to its normal usage of about 60mb. Whenever this happens my computers completely bog down and are basically nonfunctional for about 5 to 10 minutes. If I can get the task manager to open up, I can usually kill the process and then restart it, but I occasionally lose some of my work in the process.

I've tried re-installing OO on both computers and even reformatted one computer, but to no avail. Anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know a fix? I've been using OO for almost 2 years now and this has never been an issue. I love it, but if this keeps up, I may have to look for another office system (yea, even MS crappy stuff). Please help!!
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the pre-release of v2.2 and see if its still a problem.
http://download.openoffice.org/680/
rcragun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

I'll try that and see what happens. I'm beginning to think, however, that it was only doing that when I had open documents that were saved in MS formats (e.g., powerpoint or excel rather than impress and calc). I'm not sure on that, but I think that might be the case. Even if that is the case, that's still a bug in OO. But I'll try the new version and return and report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: