OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Automatically update fields from Access database-not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginna
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Automatically update fields from Access database-not working Reply with quote

Hello,
I know this topic has been addressed many times but I still haven't found a sufficient answer to how do you actually make Writer to automatically update any database field that is inserted into the document.
We use an Access mdb file which is stored on a server hard drive with all access rights granted to all users, data is being inserted/updated from an external application by multiple users.
Now the only thing we need to move from MS Word to Writer is that nice little update capability involving those database fields. One would expect this can be done easily as the table has a primary key so Writer could easily locate the record, compare data and do an update as necessary.
I've done all the necessary steps, registered the database and done the manual data to fields for the first time. The change is visible in database browser when I press F4 but no refresh is working either with F9 or update all function (only manual select works which is unacceptable).
Does this only happen because we use Access and why does it work elsewhere. We cannot switch to any other right now. If anyone has similar problems (and solutions) please respond or at least tell me if it's worth to switch to OO at this time.

Thank you,
Ginna Lewis.
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, there is no automatic refresh unless you use a DDE field.

I have exactly zero experience with that, so all I can say is check the help.

Hopefully I don't understand correctly and I'm just wrong about this and someone else can save your project.
ginna
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the DDE method but I think you need Access installed to use it, we would like to migrate away from MS Office so this method won't be useful for us, there should be a way to update built in OO I guess. If not are there any rumors of a possible update with such a capability?
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about either of your questions.

I think the best hope for a helpful answer is to ask your question over in the OpenOffice.org Base forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: