OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Images in RTF document
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Images in RTF document Reply with quote

If I insert an image in my document and save as .rtf the image is saved as a separate
file (png or jpg) and linked from the acctual rtf-file. Fine.
But is there some way I can tell OOo to include the image in the rtf?
Éric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

No it's not possible.

Ciao

Éric
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a similar document in Word the image is embedded IN the RTF file, right, why does OOo not embed pictures too? I have seen many many people using RTF for exchange of documents (quite a few of them are using WordPerfect for some reason, or older version of Word).

Saving images seperately is not a good idea, then people will never use RTF for export and mailing to friends etc., if they then have to attatch 2 or more files. A complex document can contain many pictures.

But now I discovered that seperate images are just not supported. Read on:

Because of the wide RTF support in many applications I have considered RTF the best cross-app format, I think that embedding pictures should be the standard, and anything else an option.

Oh well, Writer just crashed when trying to import a test RTF file with an embedded pciture. All my other apps succeeded in importing this file. Sad

AND Word did not open a RTF file with the linked image correctly (exported from Writer), neither did FrameMaker 7, AbiWord, RagTime or whatever I tried to open the file with. The image was not imported in these apps at all.

Now, what can we use the RTF export for when nothing imports pictures from the files exported from OOo?

Working RTF support is VERY important if OOo wants to work together with other apps, especially DTP software. This is almost the biggest blow I have experienced to my plans of switching to Writer. In fact I am close to leave OOo for some time now.

Until the day when other suites and apps support the XML format from OOo (we are talking years), OOo MUST support the reality. And that means RTF, even if linked images are a part of the RTF standard and just not supported by other apps. Then OOo have to embed pictures anyway, just to make things WORK.
Peder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Word _can_ open RTF Reply with quote

Well, I made a document with an image in OOo-1.0.1 in Linux and saved as RTF,
moved the the RTF and the generated image to Windows and opened in
Word95 and 97 w/o any problem (well Word97 had _some_ problem but I
can't pinpoint the cause right now)

You have to make sure _not_ to link the image in the document though.
And you can't drag-n-drop the RTF into Word (then you'll get and
"Error! Invalid filename.") , you have to File->Open it.

Peder[/b]
Éric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Well the problem is (even if it does not reallly interest end-users):
- MS defined a specification for RTF (which means, don't forget it, "Riched *Text* Format")
- OOo follows this spec
- MS Word doesn't follow this spec (the spec that its company published!) and adds more features such as embedded graphics.
-> thus OOo can't embed but just link pictures but users, who usually use Word to produce RTF have the habit of embedded pictures... which is not pure RTF.

Is that clear enough?

Not a justification, just an explanation!

bye

Éric
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear but irellevant for the users for who it does not work. Internet Explorer and Mozilla renders HTML best, not because they follow the standards, but because the render non-standard pages correct. They were coded for the reality.

Opera is a wonderful browser that follows standards, but I just refuse to use it, so many pages look horribily in it.

End users don't care about discussions about standards. Nothings supports RTF files with images from OOo, it is not just the good old discussion of MS vs. the world.

And if you look at IssueZilla at OpenOffice.org, one of the programmers of AbiWord, in fact the programmer that implemented RTF import in AbiWord, is quite angryon OOo too for this error.

It IS an error not to support the reality, and the issue was closed as WONTFIX.

I it confuses me. While the MS Word doc format is a secret and everybody on this site are sooooo angry with MS, why the heck not support RTF then, in a way that works? Everybody else can do, why not the OOo (and hence Sun StarOffice team) ???

I have had my problems with importing and exporting of documents between many applications, but RTF always worked. RTF was mine "open document format", I just almost never had any problems with it. Now I have, because of OOo.

Well, it is easy enough for me, I have a licens for Word XP. I liked Writer, but personally I have to close this issue as WONTUSE & WONTRECOMMEND. Not for use at my university, no sir. We have no usable word counting and no usable export to older word processors or DTP programs. The Word export f*cks up so we have nothing left now.

I have to order a bunch of student licenses of MS Office. Sad.

Last edited by Curtz on Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
ftack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware of this very strange limitation in RTF export. Indeed, if one MS compatible format deserves all attention, it is this RTF format first, and only then the binary Office formats. I have ran a quick test and indeed, bitmaps are exported and linked as png files. A vector wmf was exported as a bitmap as well!. An embedded vector graphic from Draw was not at all exported: it just vanished!

Sad to see our dear Curtz close to desesperation Crying or Very sad
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the concern Smile

I am not desperate anymore... I am back in Office XP; I need to get my work done properly.
ekimatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Same here. Reply with quote

At my company, we have all of our DTP files in rtf to work with DocuRight, and that won't work with the external images either.

I can NOT switch my ENTIRE COMPANY away FROM Microsoft TO OpenOffice without RTF embedded images working.

I am surprised that this isn't working COMPAIBLY.
miguel*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Images in RTF Reply with quote

I followed this post with interest. I have been trying to use Writer. I need RTF format for doing my EndNote citations. And I need compatibility with MS Word for coworkers.

Since the RTF format is different, I have been frustrated and have gone away from trying to make Writer work for me.

And now, seeing that this issue is marked WONTFIX does not give me much hope, even for future releases.

It would be really good, and important to really make RTF work well. I've never had trouble saving my documents in this format before, but Writer is very different.

So, WONFIX also has become "Can't use" for me, too.

Michael
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poor RTF support is not acceptable for me either.

Please note:

- OOo follows an OLD spec of the RTF format
- RTF is *text*, yes, but images can also be described using text. RTF does not mean "a format for text only documents" but "format document using text, not binary codes" ... and that includes images as well.. Look at e-mails, they can include text-encoded images.

Does StarOffice use this old, outdated RTF spec too? I will check later, when I am home again!
Gabor
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Not perfect even as text Reply with quote

Sorry if anyone takes this to be a sideline.

For compatibility reasons I always have to use RTF. Before OO1.1 rc1 I used SO5.2.

I must add that my native language is full of accented vowels which all appear in the proper font on any other machine if I use Wordpad.
With SO 5.2 I never had any font and readability problems either.

However, after switching to OO1.1 rc1 (and ever since) all these accented characters appear in a different font on other machines. I always use Times New Roman and Arial, almost never anything else.

At home I have Win 98 with True Type fonts.
If I create and save a document in OO Writer (and not just RTF, it may be Word as well) and open it at my office where the machines have W2K and Open Type fonts, then all accented characters appear in Tahoma which I never use.

Which means that there must be a font incompatibility and the problem is due to something that was introduced in between SO5.2 and OO1.1 rc1. Either unicode ore something else. But something bad.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the FREE STAROFFICE 7 (in the general thread?) discussion. Download and give it a try, if you have the time and patience. If StarOffice 7 can do the trick, then perhaps OOo uses its own filter because the staroffice filters are protected by copyright etc.

StarOffice 7 = OpenOffice 1.1.0
Morten_McNealy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there!

i have exactly the opposite problem:
oo 203 doesn't accept linking images to external files.

as soon as i reopen the rtf, the linked image is gone. but i really need this feature for our ERP system that parses through this rtf template replacing joker phrases with data. the ERP system cannot load rtfs bigger than some kb...

is there anything i can do about? a workaround or something?

would kindly appreciate some help in forcing ms word out of our office!

regards
Morten_McNealy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just noticed, that in oo1.xx this issue isn't present.
but i won't like to downgrade to oo 1.xx in order to get our system going.
is this sort of a bug or is there a workaround to replace the im/export filter in oo 2.xx

when i create the rtf with linked images in the header in oo1.xx oo2 crashes when trying to open it Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: