OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

A OOoForum community thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: A OOoForum community thread Reply with quote

Happy new year!

Perhaps this forum needs a community thread so you guys can get to know each other better. The great thing about this forum is that people from all over the world come here to get or give help. If you feel like it, you can tell us a little more about yourself in this thread.

Feel free to share your geographical location with us, fx., like Acknak:

I live around here:
55 41'56,12 34'30 (or more correctly, 55 4156,12 3430)

Just paste it into Google Earth fx! To get your own Google Earth coordinates, just find your location on Google Earth and enter the coordinates here (you will find them next to POINTER). When entering the coordinates here, you can replace the with a '

You don't have to give us the precise coordinates, of course. Just somewhere not too far from where you live. If you feel like telling us something else, feel free.

Download Google Earth here (free)

Last edited by Kaaredyret on Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:01 am; edited 5 times in total
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live here:
51 17'09.48N 1 59'10.51'W

Which as Google Earth shows, appears to be on the outskirts of Mars...

One of the more interesting things nearby is this:
51 12'25.44'N 1 58'37'33W
It's locally called the German Village (no one lives there) and was built during the cold war as a replica of a German village for military training, just in case war actually happened in Germany.

Stonehenge:
51 10'43.92'N 1 49'35.00W

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live here:
52:46:22N 0:23:29W
or Grid ref: TF086206 on the national grid.

Photos of the town are on Mr Needle's maginificant www.bourne-lincs.org.uk .

I live 15 miles from where Isacc Newton grew up, in a town whose abbey commemorates a vision of St Peter descending into an artesian well in 997. Margret Thatcher lived 20 miles to the North West, Queen Elisabeth 1sts chancellor, Lord Burghley, was born here, as was the man who invented Haut couture and another man who built ERA and BRM racing cars. Nicholas Parsons was from round here too, and the last hangman of England owned a pub here as well. Despite what a lot of people think, the Gunpowder plot was NOT hatched at the Red Hall, and Leo Sayer did NOT work in the electrical shop at the crossroads. We used to have 4 railway lines, North, south, east and west. Now we have none, and no cattle market either.
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be having some problem getting Google Earth to work right (it keeps saying "initializing" during startup but never actually starts), but according to Wikipedia, my town's coordinates are 3947′29″N, 8546′17″W

I do like the idea of the community thread, though. I can't believe that I have been missing it.

Except for a year and a half period, I lived my entire life in the U.S. state of Indiana. No the most exciting area to live, perhaps, but it is what I call home. If you have ever seen the movie "Hoosiers', that is (very loosely) based on the 1954 Milan Indians from Milan, Indiana. That town is in the county where I grew up. (Although the Hoosier pronunciation of that town is "MY-lun"... we don't pronounce any town properly in Indiana... case in point, I grew up in Versailles, IN, locally pronounced "ver-SALES"). Right now, I am living in the hometown of James Whitcomb Riley, a "famous" poet from the late 1800s and early 1900s who I never heard of before I moved here. Laughing
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool thread! I was only copying someone else on here (I forget who, sorry to say), but this is very cool: Nice to "drop in" on you folks.

I already feel a litle queasy with how much Google knows about me, and I wasn't all that keen on being more precise in my profile, but I don't live on a golf course which is where "40N, 75W" lands (Hah! I never actually checked before).

Here's the location of Knight Park, which is about 2 blocks from our house:
3954'53.80"N 75 4'41.15"W

We're about 10' from Philadelphia, which is pretty cool:
3956'58.31"N 75 9'1.12"W -- Liberty Bell
3956'56.12"N 75 8'59.74"W -- Independence Hall
3956'58.30"N 75 8'47.75"W -- Ben Franklin's house
3957'55.33"N 7510'50.30"W -- Philadelphia Art Museum
3956'21.78"N 75 7'58.86"W -- USS New Jersey (BB-62; retired)
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
I already feel a litle queasy with how much Google knows about me,

I just tried that. I don't know whether to be offended or pleased that all it can find of me is a few spam-trapped usenet postings.....
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind posting my home. So here it is http://maxqnzs.com/Myhome.kmz

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, nice link maxqnz. How do you create the .kmz file?
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
Hey, nice link maxqnz. How do you create the .kmz file?

Once you have the specific location you want (Lat./Long.) just click "Add">"placemark". Name the placemark, then "Save As" <name>.kmz

acknak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Hey, is all of NZ as beautiful as in LotR or Whale Rider? Man, I would love to visit--seems like an awesome place.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
Thanks!

Hey, is all of NZ as beautiful as in LotR or Whale Rider? Man, I would love to visit--seems like an awesome place.

The South Island, where much of LotR was filmed is stunningly beautiful, in large part because it's mostly empty. Fewer than 1 million live there, and half them are in two cities, so most of the world's 12th largest island is uninhabited. Well worth a look. Whale Rider was set and shot in the small town where my mother-in-law was born. Nice beaches, and one of the last remaining bastions of Maaori as a first language. Otoh, parts of Sth Auckland are very ugly and drab.

TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a smallish village 50m north of London UK -- here: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=52.14592,+-0.85407&hl=en. Select Satellite and zoom in to see my house. It's an old farmhouse (old = English old, that is build ~100 years before the Boston Tea Party) set in boring rolling agro-economy. Most of the farm itself became the housing estate off to the W. That's 52 8'45.33"N, 051'14.65"W in normal coords for GoogleEarth users.

Maybe what would be more interesting is our general background and why we do what we do. Me -- I first learned to program 40 years ago when I was 14. I must have learnt a couple of dozen languages in this time varying from "readonly" to power programmer, plus various SQL variants, and a dozen or so assembler variants. I've spent the last 29 years in the same BIG IT services company and sort of gravitated to one of the senior EMEA CTOs. I spend my worktime trying to deliver decent IT services to large companies (most >>10K seats) and catching the grief if we fail to hit client expectation.

However, my reasons for being in this forum are nothing to do with the day job, so I won't plug my company. I do feel that the OSS movement in a noble one, so I want OOo to thrive. Doing my bit to help here is also good for my sanity and stress levels -- It keeps me in touch with current technology (like debugging the guts of the basic RTE to track down nasty memory leaks) and uses my mind and skills away from the pressures and role in work. I am also looking forward to life as a gentleman of leisure in not too many years, so it's good to build hobby interests.

maxqnz, my daughter is in the process of backtracking around the world. She's in N Island at the moment but will be heading to S island soon: www.katie-e.blogspot.com
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerryE wrote:

maxqnz, my daughter is in the process of backtracking around the world. She's in N Island at the moment but will be heading to S island soon: www.katie-e.blogspot.com

I hope she has a great time. BTW, Wikipedia has an interesting look at the usage of the definite article with the names - it's one of the sure fire ways to identify non-kiwis, almost all of whom do as you did and omit the article, while Kiwis basically never do.

For myself, I VERY MUCH prefer the Maaori names - Te Ika a Maui (where I live), Te Wai Pounamu, and my personal favourite , Rakiura, which means "glowing skies" and is likely a reference to the Aurorae Australis.

TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. She's enjoying the North Island at the moment. I've put a comment on her blog passing on your comments Smile
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking these up. Kaaredyret seems to live in the entrance to a rather nice park in the centre of Copenhagen. 9point9 appeared to live in the middle of the English Channel (until I remembered that W = minus). Bob's reference isn't precise enough to get a handle on where in Bourne he lives. Corfy lives in Greedfield, Indy -- a small town set amongst a load of square fields (the Brits just can't get used to that -- the Saxons preferred to use natural features to help maintaining field boundaries less work). Acknak's another park dweller. Not sure whether maxqnz live's in the greenhouses or the house next door. At least when you pan back he's probably got the best surrounding scenery of the lot of us. And me -- I've already had my piece Razz
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: