OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Which Linux Distro fully implement OOo ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netghost
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Which Linux Distro fully implement OOo ? Reply with quote

I am migrating from windows to Linux and looking for appropriate linux distro which fully implemented OOo as their office package.
Please share me your info.

TIA
Angel Blue01
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most distros include OOo. SUSE is by a major contributor to the project, the enterprise distro includes the special edition of OOo
netghost
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what I mean by fully implemented OOo is they don't remove any features from original OOo. I have been told that some distros removed certain feature due to copyright violation.
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
some distros removed certain feature due to copyright violation.

I know it doesn't really matter, but this is not quite right. Some features (actually I think it's only one) are removed due to concerns over potential intellectual property issues. RedHat has never specified what they are worried about but it certainly isn't a copyright violation.

Most likely, and this is just my own wild guess, someone has filed a patent for automatically filling data series in a spreadsheet and RedHat doesn't want to stick it's hand up and say "Oooh, oooh, sue me! Sue me!". This is the pure evil of software patents (and really patents in general): the only way to be sure you are safe from being accused of infringing a patent is to stay completely away from it, and the more you talk about it, the more bullet holes you put in your own feet.

Why Sun feels safe to develop and distribute it while RedHat does not is perhaps a more interesting question, one which we'll also never have the real answer to. MS and Sun have entered into some "non-agression" pacts.

To my knowledge, RedHat (Fedora) is the only Linux distro which has actually removed any code, although the others fiddle with the packages to some extent. As was said, Novell (SuSE) is a major contributor and I believe that their OOo packages include their home-grown code even before it works it's way into the official OO.org releases.
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two flavours of OOo: the "standard" distro that you can download off the openoffice.org website. This comes in Solaris, Linux and Windows flavours. If you are running OOo on Solaris or WinXP then you are almost certainly running OOo Standard. The other flavour is the ooo-build variants. This system is used by most of the layered Linux distros for their bundled OOo installs. The main reason for this is that it is a bit of a dog getting something as complex as OOo standard to work on many Linux distros because of subtle variations in layered libraries across them, so the ooo-build systems use a complex patch system to tweak the build for SUSE, Ubuntu, ... so that it is properly tuned for the OS. Note that as Novell play a leading roll in maintaining the ooo-build system this includes VBA support (though Sun and Novell have just announced an intent to merge this work into "standard").

You can tell which you have by doing a help->about and looking at the About page. Not that all of these systems are open source, so you can download the files which tell you exactly how each variant is build up and this is how I got to grips with all this because it isn't properly documented anywhere, but you really need to be a proficient developer to understand how to do this.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of the distro I currently use (PCLinuxOS) told me that he simply adds desktop integration to the official build. The other OS I have installed (Vector) also does not mess with the official build, I am informed by a technically knowledgeable member of this forum.

Debian, I believe, is the distro most likely to interfere - that's what Debian does. Novell (OpenSuse) has M$haft as a new chum and they are supposed to be working together on improving compatibility between "Office" and OpenOffice; Novell says it will feed the fruits "upstream" - ugh and ugh. Fedora / RedHat seems to have an independent approach as well.

The smaller the distro's team, the less likely they are to meddle. You can probably count the big teams on the fingers of one hand - those I've mentioned plus Mandriva and Ubuntu. There's no harm in asking on the distro's forum or mailing list if in doubt. Distros derived from Debian and Ubuntu are likely to get their OpenOffice builds from the senior distro rather than from openoffice.org.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running Ubuntu, I've seen some problems (on forums) about their OOo packaging, plus sometimes removed features (like Mozilla plug-in in some versions). Therefore, I install OOo from the RPMs downloaded on the official OOo web site. Doing this, you're sure to have the latest standard release. The only missing feature is however the QuickStarter because this is a distro specific item. But under XP this QuickStarter is more a problem than a solution so I never use it and don't miss it at all.
netghost
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded and installed the latest OOo.
Following the command given in the instructions for downloading and installing (rpm -Uvih *.rpm) the OOo installed successfuly.
However I don't know where it is installed, because there's no shortcut on the desktop.
Can anyone tell me ?
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a find for soffice.bin. Try /opt and /usr. That will give you the path.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the archive downloaded, there is an additional folder called 'desktop-integration'. Have you install the package related to your distro ? It should do the integration (in menus and files association).
netghost
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found soffice.bin in /opt. I can execute it and openoffice 2.1 shows but I don't find application for calc, word. If I click File-New it only shows me templates and documents.

There's desktop integration folder but none is for Fedora. There's desktop integration for redhat indeed and I try to installed it but give me nothing. I guess desktop integration for Fedora and redhat is not the same.
acknak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this behavior when I had made a mistake and not all the packages were installed .

Can you copy here the exact commands you used to do the install? You can get a list of commands previously run using "history nn", where "nn" is a number of commands to list.

Can you copy here the output from this command:
Code:
rpm -qa | grep 'openoffice'

(no need to be root for that).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: