OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Is OOo Writer also a good HTML-editor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

OOo Writer against MS FrontPage
Better
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
The same
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Not as good
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Pete C
General User
General User

Location: Copenhagen, URRD - Union of the 5 Regions in Region-Denmark (DK, EU)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Is OOo Writer also a good HTML-editor? Reply with quote

I'm a newbie with OOo.

I just wonder a bit why the HTML-editor is a part of OOo Writer, and not a seperate program.

Is OOo as good as FrontPage from MSO as a HTML-editor? It would be nice if it is. But can OOo Writer handle menubars, frames and all such things?

Rgds,
Pete C

== Free: ===========
GAIN-ING MAN-DRIV-A?
Try www.Mandriva.org
-DRIV-ING A-GAIN MAN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is OOo Writer also a good HTML-editor? Reply with quote

PeCh wrote:
Is OOo as good as FrontPage from MSO as a HTML-editor?

Are your serious? Do you really think FrontPage is good?
Pete C
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is OOo Writer also a good HTML-editor? Reply with quote

esperantisto wrote:
PeCh wrote:
Is OOo as good as FrontPage from MSO as a HTML-editor?

Are your serious? Do you really think FrontPage is good?

Do you know a really good HTML-editor Question

Rgds,
Pete C

GAIN-ING MAN-DRIV-A?
Try www.Mandriva.org
-DRIV-ING A-GAIN MAN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to compare OOo Writer with Frontpage. That really isn't a fair comparison. That is like comparing a calculator to a spreadsheet.

Now, if you want to compare OOo Writer's HTML abilities with MS Word's HTML abilities, then that is a fair comparison. I really haven't used either for HTML, so I can't make that comparison myself, but that would be a fair comparison to make.

BTW, Frontpage is not a Microsoft Office program. I have Microsoft Office 2003 Professional at work and at home, and I don't have Frontpage. It isn't even a part of the ridiculously overpriced Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate (retail a mere $680).

And to be honest, I haven't worked at all with Frontpage, I haven't even watched anyone else work with it, so I don't know what that is like, but I have worked with other MS products, so I have a pretty good idea. But I have used some other website programs, like Dreamweaver, NetObjects Fusion, and GoLive. Now, I use Nvu (http://www.nvu.com).

For serious websites, I wouldn't use Writer. I'm not saying it is a bad program for HTML, and I'm certainly not saying it is a bad program period, I'm just saying that isn't the primary ability. As Scotty on Star Trek says, "The right tool for the right job."

EDIT: I'm sorry, I'm wrong about one thing. The name of the program is actually Microsoft Office FrontPage. I don't know why it is called Microsoft Office if it isn't a part of Microsoft Office, but that is Microsoft for you. Also, FrontPage has been discontinued and been replaced with two products. However, neither of the replacements are in Office 2007 Ultimate.
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is OOo Writer also a good HTML-editor? Reply with quote

PeCh wrote:
Do you know a really good HTML-editor Question

Of course, it's Micromedia Dreamweaver,
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS Office Frontpage... Microsoft has a number of "Office" applications it does not include in some or any MS Office bundles. They are supposed to be "compatible" or "work like" or "integrate" with the other MS Office applications. Really it is a marketing ploy. Applications that work together don't mean they are part of the same suite.

If you want an HTML editor, use an HTML editor. If you have VERY minimal HTML needs, use just about anything. I find OO.oWriter just fine for minimal HTML use. But I also use standard text editors and manual editing when I want the smallest possible HTML documents. (severely limited bandwidth sites for example)

Good HTML editors will allow you to manage websites as well as edit HTML documents.
Pete C
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonIA wrote:
MS Office Frontpage... Microsoft has a number of "Office" applications it does not include in some or any MS Office bundles. They are supposed to be "compatible" or "work like" or "integrate" with the other MS Office applications. Really it is a marketing ploy. Applications that work together don't mean they are part of the same suite.

No, I know that FrontPage is not a part of the latest versions of MS Office.

But at work we have Office 2000 (or ME), and there we have FrontPage too. I'm almost sure, that FrontPage was a part of the Office Packet we baught back then. At home, I only have an old version, FrontPage 98, which I do not use anymore.

RonIA wrote:
If you want an HTML editor, use an HTML editor. If you have VERY minimal HTML needs, use just about anything. I find OO.oWriter just fine for minimal HTML use. But I also use standard text editors and manual editing when I want the smallest possible HTML documents. (severely limited bandwidth sites for example)

At the moment my HTML needs are quite minimal, but soon I'm going to make some more pro websites. I'm looking for the right programs to do it at the moment. I've been recomended several good programs, but I must unf also think about the price for the software.

It would have been just perfect, if I would have been able to just use OOo Writer...

RonIA wrote:
Good HTML editors will allow you to manage websites as well as edit HTML documents.

Yes, I will also need that.

I'm going to work on my sites from different computers. At the moment I'm looking on a system called CVS, which can help me to always have the latest versions of my documents on the computer I'm working on. Then it's just to upload to the web-server with FTP or SFTP (Secure FTP). Maybe CVS can also handle my htdocs, I'm not sure yet.

But it would be nice if my HTML-editor could also handle upload and updating itself.

Rgds
Pete C

GAIN-ING MAN-DRIV-A?
Try www.Mandriva.org
-DRIV-ING A-GAIN MAN
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out NVU. Sounds like it has what you need. I am checking it out myself just to help manage my site.
Pete C
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonIA wrote:
Check out NVU. Sounds like it has what you need. I am checking it out myself just to help manage my site.

When I've installed Linux, next to my Win XP, then I will try it...

Thanks

Smile

Pete C

GAIN-ING MAN-DRIV-A?
Try www.Mandriva.org
-DRIV-ING A-GAIN MAN
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVU runs on MS Windows as well as Linux.
Pete C
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonIA wrote:

I have just installed "Mandriva 2007" Linux, and both OpenOffice 2.0 and NVU was included in the default packet. It looks very interesting, and I'm working with it at the moment.

I really hope that NVU is good.

Pete C

GAIN-ING MAN-DRIV-A?
Try www.Mandriva.org
-DRIV-ING A-GAIN MAN
pvdvyve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: NVU-OOo-MozillaSeaMonkeyComposer-Bluefish Reply with quote

Hi, I use several things for websites:
edit directly and overwrite existing file on the FTP server:
NVU-
Editing and start to build, with stylesheets:
OOo-
editing the html files offline:
MozillaSeaMonkey Composer-
sometimes things don't work in the others, only at that moment, I use to change the html code with:
Bluefish
or one of the others above.

I work also alot with the Firefox extention FireFTP, that does a nice job too for FTP transferts. If I have a problem with FireFTP, I try to connect with Konqueror, just make a second, third or whatever window in Konqueror and at the URL input something like:
ftp://user@ftp.provider.com
use your pwd and, joops, you're in.

Greetings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: