OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Foundation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LabTrainer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Foundation Reply with quote

I truly want to fully understand OpenOffice Basic and Macros. I have looked at the StarOffice 8 Basic Manual. I have even looked at Andrew Pitonyak's Macro Information. However, I feel that I still need a basic foundation to competely understand the language. May I ask someone to advise me on the best way to learn OpenOffice Basic?

Thank you!
koconnor100
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to program , in any programming language at all.

practice practice practice.

Start by creating a database to organize your dvd collection or something trivial, even if you'd never actually bother using it , the experiance from writing it is good .

Work your way up to larger and larger projects.

If you're on open office, you're probably on some version of linux. That means you have a free C language compiler at your fingertips , no extra charge. And C language is 50 years old. Visit the nearest used book store and pick up a beginners book on programming in C.
Mark B
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koconnor100 wrote:
If you're on open office, you're probably on some version of linux. That means you have a free C language compiler at your fingertips , no extra charge. And C language is 50 years old. Visit the nearest used book store and pick up a beginners book on programming in C.

I'm not sure that I agree with any of that:

• Someone new to OOo is just as likely to be using Windows as Linux (but why they's want to use Windows is another question);
  • There are free C compilers for Windows as well as Linux;
  • Why learn one programming language in order to learn another? If that's the case then surely you should really be learning Assembly in order to learn C in order to learn Basic?

I think that you've already started well - Andrew Pitonyak's Macro Information is a good place to start, and (trying not to seel too hard) if you want to invest a bit of cash then there's a rather nice book just come out (and Andrew was the technical editor). The link to it is at the bootom of my post Wink

However, there's one thing that I do agree will with:
koconnor100 wrote:

practice practice practice.

Mark
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms777 has some "generic tips" which are linked, along with other learning material, in the Help sticky.

I learnt StarBasic because I had to translate script I was using with other software. I migrated to Linux and the other software only runs on Windows; using an emulator went against the grain.

People learn in different ways. I need to have a reason for learning something. I think writing script is something you learn by writing script.
LabTrainer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, people do learn in different ways. Starting to feel as if I'm back in Organic Chemistry. Ever notice how a Chemistry Teacher can know what their talking about? Meanwhile, you might not have a clue? I'm starting to feel that way as I read some of these Basic Manuals.

I am struggling with the process but it seems to be coming along.....slowly....painfully....but rewarding.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: