OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Forcing attributes of a certain page to be "glued on&q

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evander
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Forcing attributes of a certain page to be "glued on&q Reply with quote

I'm a newbie to OO and word processors in general, so bear with me.

Let's say page 1 is text + background A, and page 2 is text with a background B , and page 3 is only text. I'll represent it like this:

Page 1: "Yankees Spring Training" (text + BG A)
Page 2: "Yankees vs. Tigers" (text + BG B)
Page 3: "Results: New York: 5, Detroit:4" (text only)

I don't know if this is the best way but know how to do this by:
- create two page styles, Page A and Page B. in the "styles and formatting" box double click Page A to apply on the first page of the document, then right click -> page -> choose background. Type in the text, then insert -> manual break and select the style as Page B. I'll do the same thing on this page but choose a different background and when doing the style from manual break I select Default. On the 3rd page I'll just type some text.

So I have it the way I want, page 1 has background A, page 2 has background B, and page 3 and any subsequent pages will just be text.

But now I decide I want to insert as the first page a cover I already made with Text + background C, let's call this Yankees2007.odt
If I do insert -> file it will just put the text from that file onto page 1 without my Yankees2007.odt background, and it'll push any text already on that page down. Well I don't want that, I just want want to insert the cover page as the first page and all existing pages will be left as they were, just moved down a page b/c of the cover. How would I go about doing this? I might want to add a TOC later on too if the document grows long enough, and I wouldn't want this messing up any preexisting pages.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've to create the page manually (insert a manal page break specifying a page style change), then insert the file, apply the same page style as the one defined in the file itself and import this page style in the global document.

Even Master document won't do it automatically because styles of the separate files are overidden by those of the master document.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you set up your Cover page style modify it on the Organizer tab so that its Next Page is your current 1st page style. Go to the beginning of the 1st page and do Ctrl+Enter for a different type of manaul break. Put your cursor in the new 1st page, open the Stylist and double click the Cover page style and complete the cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: