OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Embedding fonts in pdf export: Solved
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, the problem is not with the aeroplanes bullets but with the points. Open the Stylist (F11), activate the Bullets and Numbered list styles (last right icon in the group on the left). See the WW8Num27 style. Replace the character used.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
rsv
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bullets.....
I had one font that was WW8Nium27,
I changed them all then I had to change them again, then the doc finally ex ported, thanks, however 5 docs, I cannot use Find and Replance, I used the more options key and selected font and symbol but cannot manage to find the offending bullets?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsv wrote:
I had one font that was WW8Nium27

No, you have a paragraph on which this bullet style has been applied.

rsv wrote:
I used the more options key and selected font and symbol but cannot manage to find the offending bullets?

In fact, I was not precise enough, for bullets, you can't Find & Replace. You've to edit the bullet style : right click in the Stylist on the bullet style, select Modify, in the Options tab, click on the Character (...) button and change the font.
rsv
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: bullets Reply with quote

er - well I am new to this but does anyone else post about the bullets?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: bullets Reply with quote

rsv wrote:
does anyone else post about the bullets?

What do you mean ?
rsv
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Embedding fonts in pdf export Reply with quote

Finally, thanks.
I have removed all the offending bullets and two docs now clear. I guess you might say if I hadn't started with MSword many years ago this may have never happened, but well I didn't really have a choice then.

Sorry for the last unclear posts and incorrect terms, your clarification about the bullet styles was the clinch to sort it out, but I mean why so complicated Confused

This also solved the other problem as I finally found where to put the little aeroplanes back in my bullet styles without having to cut and paste, that is from the selection on the style list, from a layman's point of view it seems it if you're lucky it highlights the particular code.

I'll leave it at that - enough for me.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Embedding fonts in pdf export Reply with quote

rsv wrote:

Sorry for the last unclear posts and incorrect terms, your clarification about the bullet styles was the clinch to sort it out, but I mean why so complicated Confused

Because in OOo you actually have control over it. Bullets etc. are complicated, as is everything else that a word processor can accomplish. Word oh-so-helpfully but often incorrectly controls a lot of that for you, so you have no idea what you're actually working with. If Microsoft had been smart enough to use true bullets (Alt+0149 for example) instead of symbols, many, many, many people all over the world would have had easier lives. Those bullets (and other Word "features") have a long history of being problematic for any application intended to work with Word: Adobe Acrobat, for example.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
tommygunner
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem. I think I imported from Word to OpenOffice and change the Symbol fonts to OpenSymbol. I then export to PDF and go to properties and I keep finding a Symbol font! I'm not sure whre it is hiding but I can't seem to search for the font. I'm wondering if there is another program or script to search for the Symbol font or another way of embedding the font.

I have Adobe Distiller, is there a way to do it in Distiller?

I've managed to save file as .doc and then upload to lulu and then use their pdf conversion tool. However, I loose my hyperlinks and relative links in my document. They are no longer linkable. I'm thinking there should be another way to do this so I don't loose this.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommygunner wrote:
I have the exact same problem.

I think because this thread has been marked Solved, you'd normally want to start a new thread.

tommygunner wrote:
I think I imported from Word to OpenOffice and change the Symbol fonts to OpenSymbol. I then export to PDF and go to properties and I keep finding a Symbol font! I'm not sure whre it is hiding but I can't seem to search for the font. I'm wondering if there is another program or script to search for the Symbol font or another way of embedding the font.

I remember another thread or two about this very problem. Try searching this forum for OpenSymbol---that should find 'em.

tommygunner wrote:
I have Adobe Distiller, is there a way to do it in Distiller?

Not without help. Distiller is basically just a virtual printer. In Microsoft Office, PDFMaker is required for additional processing such as preserving links in the document. Because you have Distiller, I'm assuming you have some form of Acrobat or a licensed third-party PDF printer software installed. Have you tried using that instead of OOo's built-in tool?

If you don't know whether such a program is installed, try searching your hard drive for pdf in the contents, not the file name. That should find it in the help file of whatever program works with PDF files.

tommygunner wrote:
I've managed to save file as .doc and then upload to lulu and then use their pdf conversion tool. However, I loose my hyperlinks and relative links in my document. They are no longer linkable. I'm thinking there should be another way to do this so I don't loose this.

(Pssst... just between you and me, the word you want is "lose" which, despite its spelling, has a long u and a hard z sound, and means to no longer have. "Loose" has a long u and a long soft s, and means unsecured.)

If you don't find a PDF creator already on your computer, there are several third-party options available. One of the better options is Foxit, but the printer/editor part is not free, it's about USD$60. There's also PDF Creator which is free and I think does preserve links (but I lose track of which tool can do exactly what). Try searching the Internet for "free PDF writer" (or creator or printer).

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
tommygunner
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: