OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Special Character Issue in OOo 2.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demarcoc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Special Character Issue in OOo 2.2 Reply with quote

I've noticed that unlike previous versions of OOo I've used, when you insert a special character in a different font, the font you're working in is changed.

Here's the situation. You write some text in Times New Roman, say, then insert a special character from the Symbol font. Previously, upon hitting a space and typing further, you'd be back in Times New Roman. Now, upon hitting a space and typing further, you stay in the Symbol font in some cases.

If the original font (again, Times New Roman in my example) is in italic, bold, or underlined, hitting a space and typing leaves you in Symbol font.

If the original font is "regular," then hitting a space and typing puts you back in Times New Roman. As I said, this is a change from previous versions of OOo. Previously, whether the original font was "regular" or otherwise, you'd stay in the original font after hitting a space.

Obviously, there's a simple workaround for this (hitting Ctrl+Shift+Space to go back to Default Formatting), but I've never had this problem in the past. I'm planning on reporting this as an issue, but I wanted to run it past the folks on the forum first.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After installing 2.2 I find that the behaviour is unchanged.

After inserting a symbol from the symbol font, I can continue typing in the base font. However, if I backspace to the symbol, then the font changes to the Symbol font, and then typing resumes in the symbol font.

It seems right to me. I would recommend some more testing before creating an issue.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

After inserting a symbol from the symbol font, I can continue typing in the base font. However, if I backspace to the symbol, then the font changes to the Symbol font, and then typing resumes in the symbol font.

Also what I find.

(Installed 2.2 ten minutes ago)
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Special Character Issue in OOo 2.2 Reply with quote

demarcoc wrote:
I've noticed that unlike previous versions of OOo I've used, when you insert a special character in a different font, the font you're working in is changed.

Here's the situation. You write some text in Times New Roman, say, then insert a special character from the Symbol font. Previously, upon hitting a space and typing further, you'd be back in Times New Roman. Now, upon hitting a space and typing further, you stay in the Symbol font in some cases.

If the original font (again, Times New Roman in my example) is in italic, bold, or underlined, hitting a space and typing leaves you in Symbol font.

If the original font is "regular," then hitting a space and typing puts you back in Times New Roman. As I said, this is a change from previous versions of OOo. Previously, whether the original font was "regular" or otherwise, you'd stay in the original font after hitting a space.

Obviously, there's a simple workaround for this (hitting Ctrl+Shift+Space to go back to Default Formatting), but I've never had this problem in the past. I'm planning on reporting this as an issue, but I wanted to run it past the folks on the forum first.

I also see this behavior with OOo 2.2 on Windows Me if bold or italic formatting has been directly applied to the original font, but I don't see it if the original font is only underlined. This behavior doesn't occur if the bold or italic formatting is applied using a character style.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now been able to see this behavior also with underlining. It all depends on when the direct formatting begins. If the direct formatting is applied at the beginning of a paragraph, the font reverts back to the original font after a special character is applied. If the direct formatting is applied starting after the first character in the paragraph then the font doesn't revert back to the original font.
acknak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, inserting any special characters from a different font, no matter what the "base font" is at that point, causes a shift to the special font. This happens in 2.2 but not in 2.0.2 (I have no others installed to test). This is under Fedora Linux.

I normally avoid changing fonts when I use Insert > Special Character, so I probably wouldn't have noticed this.
demarcoc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going back to OOo 2.1 temporarily to finish the document I was working on. I'll be reinstalling OOo 2.2 and do some more testing before I report an issue.

What BillP reports seems to be accurate. I was applying direct formatting at the beginning of a paragraph when I experienced the problem.

The document I was working on was a test for a symbolic logic test I teach, in which I need italic characters and logical operators, which are only available in the Symbol font, which is why I need to switch fonts.

Anyway, I'll repost if I figure out a way around this -- if not, I'll just revert back to 2.1 and report an issue.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
It all depends on when the direct formatting begins. If the direct formatting is applied at the beginning of a paragraph, the font reverts back to the original font after a special character is applied. If the direct formatting is applied starting after the first character in the paragraph then the font doesn't revert back to the original font.

Furthermore, once it does not revert back to the original font you have to open a new document for the behaviour to stop.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
I've now been able to see this behavior also with underlining. It all depends on when the direct formatting begins. If the direct formatting is applied at the beginning of a paragraph, the font reverts back to the original font after a special character is applied. If the direct formatting is applied starting after the first character in the paragraph then the font doesn't revert back to the original font.

+1, I can reproduce it on my Ubuntu also.
demarcoc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you interested in this issue, it's now been filed.
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=75891
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: