OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice 2.2 Upgrade Glitch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hjl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice 2.2 Upgrade Glitch Reply with quote

I just upgraded from OpenOffice 2.1 to 2.2, which I am running on Dapper. The upgrade launches fine, and creates documents fine. However, when I save a new document, the application thinks it has saved in java. So, the properties on the file are shown as MIME type: x-application-java-archive.

The file icon appears initially as an OpenOffice file, but as soon as I try to launch it changes to a java icon, and I get this error message:

"The filename "test.odt" indicates that this file is of type "OpenDocument Text". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type "Java Archive". If you open this file, the file might present a security risk to your system.

Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to the correct extension for "Java Archive", then open the file normally. Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a specific application for the file."

I can still use Open With to launch the file using OpenOffice 2.2. However, if I try to set OpenOffice 2.2 as the launch application, there is no change.

I need help to fix this.

Thanks.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the MD5 sum ?
I don't have this issue on my Dapper. Does it always occur for all new files ? For Writer and the other modules ?
In the Save As dialog, is the option Automatic file name extension checked ?
hjl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Open Office 2.2 Upgrade Glitch Reply with quote

1. How do I check MDsum5?

2. This is my home laptop, and I'm not there right now. I'll check the other questions you ask. I only explored this briefly late last night, when I first noticed the problem. Here's a bit more:

3. It's clear that, when I try to open a .odt file directly by clicking on it, OO thinks it is looking at a .jar format. If I use Open With, and select OO Writer, the file opens fine. But I can't save that selection; once I close the file, when I re-open directly, I'm back to the same error message.

4. If I change the file extension to .jar, I can open the file directly. Again, however, if I close the file, the new file extension is not saved. When I try to re-open by clicking, I get the error message.

5. I can save in, for example, .doc format. The right icon appears. I can open the file directly without a problem.
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Open Office 2.2 Upgrade Glitch Reply with quote

hjl wrote:
1. How do I check MDsum5?

On the shell:
md5sum filename
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The md5sum is a sum used to check that your downloaded file is the same as the file on the server from which you downloaded. The sum you get from running the command should be the same as the sum shown for the file on this page: http://download.openoffice.org/2.2.0/md5sums.html

That page contains a link to a page containing instructions for using the md5sum procedure.
hjl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: OpenOffice 2.2 Upgrade Glitch Reply with quote

And what filename do I put there?

Sorry. Software diagnostics is not my calling. I'm just a lawyer running Linux and open source apps to cut the Redmond cord. So, I tend to need baby steps on fixes.

Thanks.
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

md5sum OOo_2.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz
You must issue this command in the same folder where the file is stored (under kde, you simply press F4 on the right folder and Konsole is opened; no idea how this work on Gnome)
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hjl wrote:
I'm just a lawyer
In that case, I believe we expect to make allowances. Twisted Evil

If the md5sum checks out, could you create a similar document (i.e. one that is not confidential) and, assuming it runs into the same problem, upload it so that others can check it on their systems. The following host is often used: http://www.mytempdir.com/
hjl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: OpenOffice 2.2 Upgrade Glitch Reply with quote

Thanks.

I'll do this at home tonight, and post something. I appreciate the help.
hjl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Installation Glitch Reply with quote

1. I ran md5sum. The sum matches one of the sums on the linked site.

2. I have the same problem using Impress to create a presentation. When first saved, the icon and extension look fine. When I try to open, I get same error message. The icon changes to Java; the extension stays the same. I can use Open With>OO Impress to open the file.

3. Automatic file extension is checked in the menu to save.

I'll upload one of these Writer files.

Ok, here's link to the uploaded file:

http://www.mytempdir.com/1276800
hjl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Fix for Glitch Reply with quote

Here's the fix:

http://www.clasohm.com/blog/
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. For anyone needing the fix, it's on the linked page under the heading "Nautilus Identifying OpenOffice Documents as Java Archives".
duli
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: In case the link disappears Reply with quote

Well, in case the link disappears, here's the fix:

"After installing the Java 6 RPM on Fedora Core (jdk-1.6.0-fcs), Nautilus prints the following error when you try to open an OpenOffice document:

The filename "Report.sxw" indicates that this file is of type "OpenOffice Writer". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type "Java Archive". If you open this file, the file might present a security risk to your system.

This is because the file /usr/share/mime/packages/x-java-archive.xml that is created by the Java RPM is broken. To fix it, add a "<" in front of the second "match" tag:

Code:

--- x-java-archive.xml.orig     2006-12-24 14:47:05.000000000 +0100
+++ x-java-archive.xml  2006-12-25 11:57:03.000000000 +0100
@@ -32,7 +32,7 @@
     <glob pattern="*.jar"/>
     <magic priority="85">
       <match type="string" value="PK\003\004" offset="0">
-       match type="host16" value="0xcafe" offset="40" />
+       <match type="host16" value="0xcafe" offset="40" />
       </match>
     </magic>
   </mime-type>

Then run the following command:

update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

Log out and log in again to restart Nautilus."
hjl
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: How come this bug recurs Reply with quote

I've installed three versions of OpenOffice, including just released 2.2.1. I encounter this same bug each time.

I'm doing the installation using alien to convert .rpm files to .deb files so that I can install on Ubuntu. Is this bug unique to that method of installation?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The root cause is a bad configuration file in the Java package. So it's not a problem with the installation method but with the package itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: