OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

dnd.dll is a keylogger trojan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quickquestion
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: dnd.dll is a keylogger trojan? Reply with quote

Are you kidding me?!

First I think I have a great free program for creating spreadsheets (and so much more!) and then I run a scan with spyware doctor and it tells me that the dnd.dll file of said program is a keylogger trojan, and that it is a high risk threat to my computer.

So what's the deal--the program is open source right? Did some mean-spirited jerk tack a trojan into the software when they played with the code or am I missing something? Is this the reason it's free--they're scamming all my personal info? That's an awfully high price to pay if so...
squenson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quickquestion,

I scanned my version of dnd.dll from OOo 2.2 (dated Monday, February 05, 2007, 09:57:18, size 102,400, version 8.0.0.9116) which AVG anti-spyware and it found nothing.

Could you please be more precise:
- What is the date and time of your dnd.dll file
- What is its sizee
- What is its version

Also, which version of OOo are you using (and in which language), and on which version of Microsoft Windows you run it.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful might be also, which version of Spyware Doctor are you using?
quickquestion
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess all of that would have been helpful, eh? Embarassed

I'm using Spyware Doctor version 5.0.0.174, running XP (SP 2), and as to the keylogger, I stupidly (smartly?) quarantined it (if it's screencapping and ftping all my passwords / personal info it's unacceptable to let it just run amok, n'est pas?) I just restored the file so now it's telling me that its creation date is today Sad

The file size is 33 Kb (36 Kb on disk) and its version is: 8.0.0.9051 -- what's interesting is that for the language it says "German," but then, it would appear that all the files say that, so maybe that's not so interesting. (I'm using the English version.)

I'm using OOo 2.0 and I downloaded it from download.com.

Thanks for helping in spite of my snarkiness--I was pretty irritated to see that crop up on my spyware scan Smile

E.T.A. : Also, I tried to uninstall the program before/instead of quarantining the file, but it was not to be found in my add/remove programs. Is this because it wasn't installed to program files? That's the only reason I can think of, but I have several other programs that weren't installed to program files that show up on that list, and some that are in PF aren't on that list, so maybe it's a lousy criterion.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quickquestion wrote:
I guess all of that would have been helpful, eh? Embarassed

Smile

quickquestion wrote:
The file size is 33 Kb (36 Kb on disk) and its version is: 8.0.0.9051

I have a dnd.dll with a file size of 100 KB and version 8.0.0.9116. Creation date is 05.02.2007.

quickquestion wrote:
I'm using OOo 2.0 and I downloaded it from download.com.

What? Are you kidding? I'm using OOo 2.2 from http://www.openoffice.org.
quickquestion
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll update and see if that fixes it. Thanks for your help!

p.s. How do I uninstall the old openoffice? I guess I could install the new over the top, but if it was a compromised version I want it gone.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add/remove programmes should do it. Removal is not always clean on Windows so you may need "The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility":
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=29662

I'd be interested to know whether Spyware Doctor finds fault with the installation you get from openoffice.org. It may be a case of misdiagnosis.
quickquestion
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now my computer is returning from standby on its own--what in tarnation?

i'll try that utility--thank you Smile
quickquestion
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it didn't detect OOo--which is funny because it is just sitting there in my program files. whatevs--i'm having a lot of other spyware-y type problems now so i'm thinking that my computer's got something and that the dnd.dll thing was just the tip of the iceberg, because all of this started when i first messed with that file. the returning from standby thing is flat scary.

OOo 2.2 will have to wait, but i bet it's a great product. thanks for all your help guys. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: