OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Style change from "normal" to "text block&quo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikJan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Style change from "normal" to "text block&quo Reply with quote

When I type a document using the style called "normal" and end a paragraph by pressing Enter, the style changes to "tekst blok" -- I have the Dutch version -- that is another style "text block" or some other name in English that denotes simple text without special formatting. This irritates me, because after each end of paragraph I must correct the formatting of this paragraph. (I hope I am able to describe the problem well in spite of my lack of English.)

What can I do to make the paragraphs keep the style I have given them?

Erik.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Style change from "normal" to "text block Reply with quote

ErikJan wrote:
When I type a document using the style called "normal" and end a paragraph by pressing Enter, the style changes to "tekst blok" -- I have the Dutch version -- that is another style "text block" or some other name in English that denotes simple text without special formatting. This irritates me, because after each end of paragraph I must correct the formatting of this paragraph. (I hope I am able to describe the problem well in spite of my lack of English.)

Erik.

You need to change the Linked With under the Organizer tab of the 'normal' style. See http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/OpenOffice/linked.jpg .
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the style of the next paragraph changes then you need to change the Next Style item (see the link above) to Normal.

If you mean the style of the just typed paragraph changes then let us know. I've had this problem once and the fix is fairly drastic.

jrkrideau,
I don't understand your answer. Did you mean Next Style instead of Linked With?
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tools > Autocorrect > Options > Apply Styles

If this option is checked, the Default paragraph style automatically changes to Text Body style when Enter is pressed (English-US version).
ErikJan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. I did both, the linking of Heading 1 to heading, and I unchecked "apply styles" in the Autocorrect section.

Thank you veryy much for helping me out.

Erik Jan
nrubdarb
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I had this exact same problem and would just like to clarify that if you are using custom styles (as I always do, since OpenOffice is brilliant with custom styles), then you also need to turn off the AutoCorrect setting "Replace Custom Styles".

This from the help for AutoCorrect

Quote:

Replace Custom Styles
Replaces the custom paragraph styles in the current document with the "Default", the "Text Body", or the "Text Body Indent" paragraph style.

Since this behavior is in my opinion absolutely senseless -- one of OpenOffice's great strengths is its custom style abilities -- I will be making another post in the forum to deal with this point.

IMHO 80% of the AutoCorrect functions are a waste of time, and they should be turned off by default. Turning all this trivia on makes OpenOffice more like Word, where one searches for hours to find a hidden "default", often to do with formatting.

Update: posted here http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=55719.

Cheers,

Ed
OOo usage is v.2.0, mostly Writer. At work I'm evaluating OOo as a solution for publishing product manuals. OS is Windows XP. At home I use OOo for all kinds of text processing. My partner will be writing her thesis using Writer. OS is Debian Linux
slickrcbd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Style change from "normal" to "text block Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
ErikJan wrote:

Erik.

You need to change the Linked With under the Organizer tab of the 'normal' style. See http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/OpenOffice/linked.jpg .

I was just sent to this thread after making a post about the same problem, and found that the link is broken. I'm also confused about what is being referred to.
DiGro
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image is indeed removed.

As I read it one is referring to the dialog of the paragrapghstyle Default (Which is Standaard in Dutch)

To keep the same paragraphstyle after you hit ENTER you will have to set Next style (surrounded with the red line) to the same as it is in Name (the box above) So you will have DEFAULT twice, as shown in this image where STANDAARD is the Dutch equivalent of DEFAULT.

This is the dialog you will find through the dialog Styles and formatting (key F11). Select Paragraphstyles (first icon at top left of that window) and then right-clcik on Default and choose the tab Managing

(I'm on Dutch build so names may differ)

Windows 7 Home Premium and AOO 4.0.1 NL (Dutch)
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Style change from "normal" to "text block Reply with quote

slickrcbd wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:
ErikJan wrote:

Erik.

I was just sent to this thread after making a post about the same problem, and found that the link is broken. I'm also confused about what is being referred to.

My apologies. geocites has stopped support for webpages and I have not found a good alternative.
DiGro
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Style change from "normal" to "text block Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
My apologies. geocites has stopped support for webpages and I have not found a good alternative.

Accepted. Laughing

I knew they stopped but just once and a while I encountered something like this.

Maybe you want to have a look at : http://www.villagephotos.com

I just use it for storing images like the above. Laughing

Windows 7 Home Premium and AOO 4.0.1 NL (Dutch)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: