OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Excluding words from the keywors index

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jens0331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Excluding words from the keywors index Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm writing a bit longer text in German with a keyword index, and I
have the following problem.
The word 'Spiel' (game) should be indexed, the word 'Beispiel' (example) shouldn't. Because of Beipspiel actually contains the word 'spiel', it is indexed.

How do I exclude those words from the index, which aren't subject to be indexed.
Turning the option "Word only" off, is not acceptable. When I write e.g. 'Rollenspiel' (role game) which also contains the fragment Spiel and it should be index.

My best guess, what I might can do is: To delete the word 'Spiel' completely from the index, but use composite nouns like 'Rollenspiel' in the index.
Any ideas beyond this one?
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to be able to use standard search functions (even regular expressions) to distinguish between Beispiel and Rollenspiel. You would need to write a program with excluded words and it might not be that simple.

If as you typed in the text you could insert a zero-width non-breaking space between the components of composite words you do want to index (see: www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=49179 ) you might then be able to search for (and index) words containing the non-breaking space and, in the case you cite, "spiel".
jens0331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Robert Tucker wrote:
You are not going to be able to use standard search functions (even regular expressions) to distinguish between Beispiel and Rollenspiel. You would need to write a program with excluded words and it might not be that simple.

Indeed it's a bit hard subject. Out of curiosity I've started Google Desktop to see how it stores keywords. My examples aren't near to 'Spiel'. Beispiel isn't, nor Rollenspiel is.

Maybe programing something myself is the best solution.

<quote="Scotty"> I have spend whole my life, trying to figure out crazy ways of doing things</quote>

The problem with the German language is, that you can build nouns composed of other words. A very famous one is
"Donaudampfschifffartskaptitänsmütze(enhaken)" (Danube steamboat captains - caps hook, but please don't nail me on the translation Wink. You never find those words in any dictionary, but somehow they are correct.

Such a word is 'Rollenspiel', it is composed of Rollen (role) and
Spiel (game). Beispiel isn't such a word, even if it looks alike
I have to admit that, English has a few rules, where German should follow the example,

Maybe, I have another solution. Before finally indexing the text , I do search and replace 'Beispiel' with 'Example', than index the text and replace back. (Or use synonyms, where ever I can do that.)

.oO(Talking to someone else helps to rethink the problem, and >figure out crazy ways of doing things<. That's why I write so much)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: