OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

User Interface Revolution for OpenOffice.org 3.0?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greentiger
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noscollections wrote:

Microsoft have a patent on the rubon interface.

Chris

Not yet, they don't.
noscollections
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greentiger wrote:
noscollections wrote:

Chris

Not yet, they don't.

I've read it, so for you this news is wrong. Good news

OpenOffice 2.2 User
greentiger
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noscollections wrote:
greentiger wrote:
noscollections wrote:

Chris

Not yet, they don't.

I've read it, so for you this news is wrong. Good news

Who are you talking to?
Everything I've read is that they have submitted for the patent but it hasn't been approved yet.
kozuch82
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OpenOffice UI should DEFINITELLY move on.
skaertus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to use Microsoft Office 2007 (especially Microsoft Word) in the past few months and I think the new interface is just great. I was used to MS Word 2003 and OpenOffice.org Writer interface, but I found the new Ribbon to be so much better, intuitive and ergonomical. It's not a question of learning to use the interface or being used to the old one. I have to say that I didn't have to learn to use the new interface: it's as easy as if I already knew how to use it from the beginning. And it is comfortable and easy on the eyes. I take my hat off to Microsoft for creating such a great interface.

I think OpenOffice.org should redefine its interface following MS Office path. It should have a better interface, but I'm not saying it should copy Microsoft. OpenOffice.org interface is good, but it should be improved in many ways. As a user of OpenOffice.org Writer, I used the small caps feature a lot. To use small caps on OpenOffice.org, I had to surf through various menus until I could find the command that I wanted to use. In Microsoft Word 2003, it was much simpler: I could just customize the menu to add a button to do the "small caps" task. MS Office 2007 Ribbon doesn't allow customization, but it is even better: I use Word 2007 with pleasure. OpenOffice.org should take ergonomics to a new level and produce an interface which is both customizable to the user needs and more pleasant to use.
skaertus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to use Microsoft Office 2007 (especially Microsoft Word) in the past few months and I think the new interface is just great. I was used to MS Word 2003 and OpenOffice.org Writer interface, but I found the new Ribbon to be so much better, intuitive and ergonomical. It's not a question of learning to use the interface or being used to the old one. I have to say that I didn't have to learn to use the new interface: it's as easy as if I already knew how to use it from the beginning. And it is comfortable and easy on the eyes. I take my hat off to Microsoft for creating such a great interface.

I think OpenOffice.org should redefine its interface following MS Office path. It should have a better interface, but I'm not saying it should copy Microsoft. OpenOffice.org interface is good, but it should be improved in many ways. As a user of OpenOffice.org Writer, I used the small caps feature a lot. To use small caps on OpenOffice.org, I had to surf through various menus until I could find the command that I wanted to use. In Microsoft Word 2003, it was much simpler: I could just customize the menu to add a button to do the "small caps" task. MS Office 2007 Ribbon doesn't allow customization, but it is even better: I use Word 2007 with pleasure. OpenOffice.org should take ergonomics to a new level and produce an interface which is both customizable to the user needs and more pleasant to use.
dougsnow

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have OO and office2007 on here, due to my wife working at a pro-M$ local computer services company.

I do like Outlook 2007, and its ability to download RSS feeds directly into Outlook.

I DO NOT like the Office 2007 ribbons at all, and due to that, I dont use MS Office 07 at all, with the exception of Outlook. I know where what I am looking for is in Office 2003, and I cant find $hit in Office 2007 Smile

I use OO for everything except Outlook, and I even have set the file settings to open an XLS, a DOC, etc., in OO and not Office 07.

If the powers that be were to consider an Office-07 style UI, PLEASE PLEASE give the user the ability to keep with the current UI - don't shove the new UI down the throat of the user like the programmers in Redmond...
skaertus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that. Users should have the ability to choose between the "old" and the "new" interface or, at least, have the power to "turn off" the new features by customizing the interface.

I'm just a newbie, but I wonder if any OpenOffice.org developer is actually reading these forums and taking our opinions into account...
lalf
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: User Interface Revolution for OpenOffice.org 3.0? Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with you. Please vote for a redesign of the UI:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=61452

/lalf

yookoala wrote:
I don't like Microsoft. And I don't like Microsoft Office very much, either. But when I look at Microsoft Office 2007, I have to admit that it is cool. The user interface have a great revolution and become very user friendly. I especially like the new design of Fluent and Mini Toolbar. They greatly improved the user interaction. Things become more accessible and straight-forward and I think we can really call it a good interface.

If we appreciate OpenOffice.org 2.0 to have similar interface like Microsoft Office 2000 and XP, we definitely want OpenOffice.org 3.0 to take advantage on interface revolution like Office 2007. We want these not because we love Office, but because we want a better office suite software. The UI evolution could be a "Office 2007" way, or could be a totally different innovation. My point is: UI of next OO must move on.

Do you agree with me?
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skaertus wrote:
I'm just a newbie, but I wonder if any OpenOffice.org developer is actually reading these forums and taking our opinions into account...
The developers don't live here. This is a self-help forum. There are mailing lists used by the developers, and the rest of us communicate with them by raising issues in the qa project.

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: