OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Uploading files: please don't recommend mytempdir

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Uploading files: please don't recommend mytempdir Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I'm on thin ice here, but could I ask that we consider not recommending that people use mytemdir to upload files?

With ads and pop-ups blocked, it was merely annoying before, but now they have a pop-up advertising window that fires in spite of Mozilla's pop-up blocker (and I assume IE's and others as well). On re-loading with pop-ups and ads not blocked, I see that there are actually multiple pop-ups, some full-screen, and adult-oriented ad images as well.

Between the volume and content of the ads and the annoying delays, I've already stopped recommending them. With the obnoxious pop-up, I'll think hard about even bothering to retrieve a file from the site.

I realize that not everyone is as annoyed by the aggressive advertising, and I do realize they have to make money to support the site, so if you want to keep using them, that's your prerogative.

I hope some day we can have a file upload feature here, so we can avoid the problem altogether.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Uploading files: please don't recommend mytempdir Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
Ok, maybe I'm on thin ice here, but could I ask that we consider not recommending that people use mytemdir to upload files?

So what can we recommend?

Regards
hol.sten
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been sending people to uploadhut.com, but that's based on about 30 seconds of research via Google, so I'm certainly open to other suggestions.

I know people often use imageshack to host images--that seems to work well.

Maybe a(nother!) sticky with a list of sites?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Uploading files: please don't recommend mytempdir Reply with quote

acknak wrote:

I always recommend mytempdir.com but I had not realized it was getting bad. Firefox seems block most or all of it for me.

I have no objection to changing to another place. What are the suggestions?
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at http://Tinypic.com/ - it seems benign, and there is a clikable zoom view
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no trouble with pop-ups on mytempdir or elsewhere. uploadhut is the only other site I've come across that takes files other than images and does not require registration.
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no trouble with pop-ups on mytempdir or elsewhere.

Do you mean you don't see them, or it doesn't bother you when you see them? I'm just curious.

I never saw any pop-ups on mytempdir until today.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to download a file from mytempdir yesterday morning with Firefox. I eventually had to use the Windows Task Manager to kill Firefox after it stopped responding. I switched to IE6 which has no pop-up blocker. I was able to complete the download, but only after 9 more windows had been opened in IE. In my case the pop-ups which were annoying are now obstructive.

I have looked at a few alternatives. Two which accept all file types and don't require registration and don't have pop-ups:

http://www.mediafire.com/

http://ultrashare.net/

Ultrashare.net deletes files which have not been downloaded for 21 days. Mediafire.com does not currently delete any files.

User reviews for almost 700 file hosting sites can be found at:

http://www.filehostingreview.com/File_Hosting
Ahriman
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another one that don't see neither popups nor ads in Mytempdir (but then it is true that I use the Adblock and NoScript extensions).

However, I have no trouble using another file uploading service, like ImageShack or ImageNation.
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another flaw with these services is that they are "what it says on the tin" -- that is free temporary repositories. This means that they are OK for dialog and review at or around the time of posting, but if anyone uses the forum as a knoweldgebase and searches the arcticle say 12 months later then all you might get is a post refering to a non-existant image.

That's why I have a directory on my web service to post my images. I know that doing this is slightly more geeky, but most ISPs offer a free webservice with ftp or forms interface for uploading files. I think that this is a more sound approach. //Terry
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
Do you mean you don't see them, or it doesn't bother you when you see them? I'm just curious.
I don't see them. I checked today after reading your first post.

I'm using a derivative of Firefox with popup blocking. I also have the Adblock extension which may be why you see the popup/s and I don't.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
Quote:
I have no trouble with pop-ups on mytempdir or elsewhere.

I never saw any pop-ups on mytempdir until today.

I meant I didn't see them but you're right they are there now and very annoying.

http://www.sendmefile.com/ is another alternative I believe but I have not used in some time, probably a year.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw any pop up on mytempdir also, using Firefox + Adblock.
I used to recommend uploadhut.com too, but lately, I've had problems downloading files (code impossible to enter, even with cookies enabled).

Let's try sendmefile.com !
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Never saw any pop up on mytempdir also, using Firefox + Adblock.

Installing Adblock Plus helped my problem. I am now able to download files with Firefox from mytempfile.com again.

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
I used to recommend uploadhut.com too, but lately, I've had problems downloading files (code impossible to enter, even with cookies enabled).

Let's try sendmefile.com !

My only concern with sendmefile.com is the relatively short 14 day inactivity period before files are deleted. That should usually be adequate for the initial user's problem, but there have been times when I wanted to download a file to test a solution to a problem only to find that the file had already been deleted.
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come across another problem with myTempDir -- you need to have JavaScript enabled for myTempdir.com. Now I run Noscript within Firefox, so that I only have Javascript enabled for trusted sites, and I'm sorry but I don't trust myTempdir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: