OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Lost formatting in exporting to PDF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garold323

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Lost formatting in exporting to PDF Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to export a manuscript from Oo to PDF, and lots of the formatting gets lost. Copyright symbol, quotation marks, em dashes don't show up at all in PDF.

I checked out the Export dialog box, and there's nothing there about saving ALL information. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Gary
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which OOo version, operating system, and font? Does it happen with other fonts?
* BleachBit
</signature>
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that the fonts used are installed on your system (Linux ?), especially if you've used the Symbol font. If OOo displays the font name in the drop-down list, it doesn't mean that the font is installed (but it does for a new document).

See this thread about the same issue : Embedding fonts in pdf export: Solved.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
garold323

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Version, OS, and font Reply with quote

AndrewZ wrote:
Which OOo version, operating system, and font? Does it happen with other fonts?

I'm using Oo 2.2, Windows XP, and the font is Adobe Caslon. It shows up in the pull-down menu in Writer, and also shows up as "embedded" in Adobe Reader. I tried chaning the font to Adobe Janson, and the same problem occurs -- no copyright symbol, no quotation marks, no em dashes.

I looked at Oo help about installing fonts, but it doesn't make sense to me. Something about "spadmin."

Gary
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Version, OS, and font Reply with quote

garold323 wrote:
I looked at Oo help about installing fonts, but it doesn't make sense to me. Something about "spadmin."

Gary

If fonts are installed in the system, they will show in the drop-down listing of Writer aand other programs using them. If not, you can use one of several font installation packages [freeware], such as The Font Thing. If still no luck, try an external free PDF maker like Primo.
Fonts can be made available by copying to a folder of your choice, but will still need to be installed [in the registry] by using a program such as TFT.

David.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the PDF file properties, is there any font that is substituted instead of embedded ?
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Version, OS, and font Reply with quote

garold323 wrote:
AndrewZ wrote:
Which ... font? Does it happen with other fonts?
the font is Adobe Caslon. ... I tried chaning the font to Adobe Janson, and the same problem occurs

Question: Which type of fonts are you using? Searching with Google for Adobe Caslon showed that this font is available as OpenType Font, Windows TryeType, Windows PostScript and Mac PostScript. To get the best results with OOo's PDF export you need Windows TryeType fonts.

Regards
hol.sten
garold323

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Version, OS, and font Reply with quote

Thanks, David. The font I chose does appear in the drop down in Writer. It's an Adobe font. It shows up as "embedded" in Adobe Reader, too, so it makes no sense why some characters aren't showing up.

I have Adobe Type Manager as a font installation program. But if the fonts are showing up, that means they're already installed, right?

Maybe I should just try using a more common font. Problem is I don't like a lot of the fonts, and this is for a book of mine being published.

Gary

David wrote:
garold323 wrote:

Gary

If fonts are installed in the system, they will show in the drop-down listing of Writer aand other programs using them. If not, you can use one of several font installation packages [freeware], such as The Font Thing. If still no luck, try an external free PDF maker like Primo.
Fonts can be made available by copying to a folder of your choice, but will still need to be installed [in the registry] by using a program such as TFT.

David.
garold323

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Version, OS, and font Reply with quote

I believe they're Windows postscript fonts. I'll see if I can select a True Type font that's similar. Thanks!
Gary

hol.sten wrote:
garold323 wrote:
AndrewZ wrote:
Which ... font? Does it happen with other fonts?
the font is Adobe Caslon. ... I tried chaning the font to Adobe Janson, and the same problem occurs

Question: Which type of fonts are you using? Searching with Google for Adobe Caslon showed that this font is available as OpenType Font, Windows TryeType, Windows PostScript and Mac PostScript. To get the best results with OOo's PDF export you need Windows TryeType fonts.

Regards
hol.sten
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any substituted font in the PDF ? Or only the Caslon one ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: