OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Install new version in Ubuntu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjmusto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Install new version in Ubuntu Reply with quote

For a relative novice on Linux, having downloaded the .tar.gz file for Open Office 2.0.4, how do I now install the new version?

Is there an easy way, or must it be done using the Terminal and a whole bunch of instructions?

And why does the Ubuntu update manager not do it for me? Can you not persuade them to include it? Would be nice.

Thanks.
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I am something of a Linux newb myself and have never installed any software on my Linux computer that wasn't available through the software repositories, so I'm not much help with installing it. Sorry.

However, as for the Update Manager, it depends on what version of Ubuntu you are using. Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) only has 2.0.2 available. The newest Ubuntu, Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) has 2.0.4 available. I think 5.10 used OOo 2.0 RC1. Ubuntu seems to use the latest version available at the time of their release, but then don't upgrade it past then. I think that seems a bit short sighted, particularly since they are supposed to support 6.06 for three years, but I'm just a user, not an Ubuntu developer.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Install new version in Ubuntu Reply with quote

rjmusto wrote:
For a relative novice on Linux, having downloaded the .tar.gz file for Open Office 2.0.4, how do I now install the new version?

Read for example this threads, which cover downloading and installing OOo on Ubuntu (or try the search function yourself for more links):
- http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=49686&highlight=ubuntu
- http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=38948&highlight=ubuntu+download+deb
- http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=41164&highlight=ubuntu+download+deb
- http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=35407&highlight=ubuntu+download+deb

Regards
hol.sten
Knudson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a ubuntu user, but since it's a debian you should be able to do that by apt-get or via Synaptic

shoot up a terminal then write

sudo apt-get upgrade openoffice.org

if it's in the repos, that should do the work

anyway

tar -vxzf namefile.tar.gz

untars the file in your current folder, that should be enough
rjmusto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I'll have a go at the update suggestions - will be tomorrow though as the PC in question is in my office.

Will let you know how it goes.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To install the rpms (unless you have rpm on your system), you need to use alien to convert them to debs.

Have a look at the Setup Guide:
Setup Guide
A4 version
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knudson wrote:
anyway

Not at all.

In case you had not followed the links, here is a simple procedure :
- Download the RPMs from OOo site.
- Remove the OOo version installed by default in Ubuntu out of the box if still installed (all green packages with 'openoffice.org2 in Synaptic). No need if you've already upgraded once before.
- Then in the console :
Code:
cd rep_install_OOo/RPMS
sudo alien -d --scripts *.rpm
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

- Then update the Gnome menu:
Code:
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i openoffice.org-debian-menus_2.0.4-2_all.deb

NB: if alien is not installed, then:
Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if it's ok.
dogatemycomputer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Kubuntu with Open Office 2.2 Reply with quote

I have been having a problem with Openoffice Write crashing each time I tried to open a Microsoft Word form-based documents. I could recreate the problem with 2 x Kubuntu 7.04 LiveCDs so I know its not an installation problem. This fix not only helped correct my problem but seems to have improved Evolution's stability and eliminated a password prompt.

Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nselby

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Now it works, but the fonts don't Reply with quote

So on Ubuntu feisty I installed the rpms and everything works - except! the fonts. For some reason Open office is Not seeing my .fonts directory. Can anyone offer any suggestion?

Thanks,
Nick
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very strange because putting the fonts files (or using symbolic links) in the ~/.fonts folder is usually the fix for all fonts problems Shocked

The rights are correct for this folder ? It belongs to the user ? Have you restarted OOo ?
El Viejo Lobo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: For the new comers to Ubuntu Reply with quote

You better use Synaptic to install Ooo you can find it in System/Administration/Synaptic go for Search OpenOffice then select it and install it. If you are using Feisty you will have Ooo waiting for you I do not know if the Edgy have the new Ooo.
Ooo 2.2 in Feisty have some bugs you may think if you what it.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: For the new comers to Ubuntu Reply with quote

El Viejo Lobo wrote:
You better use Synaptic to install Ooo

See the many threads from the Ubuntu users here and in the Ubuntu forums, its version is regularly deffective (font rendering, response time, crashes, features removed sometimes, ...). Better install from the official OOo packages.
zek725
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: For the new comers to Ubuntu Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
El Viejo Lobo wrote:
You better use Synaptic to install Ooo

See the many threads from the Ubuntu users here and in the Ubuntu forums, its version is regularly deffective (font rendering, response time, crashes, features removed sometimes, ...). Better install from the official OOo packages.

Why do they differ if both of them have the same version number? Does Ubuntu change some of it?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: For the new comers to Ubuntu Reply with quote

zek725 wrote:
Does Ubuntu change some of it?

Yes, for better integration purpose with the whole distro. Some other distros even remove features (as did Ubuntu also) for license issue.
Billyray
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Knudson wrote:
anyway

Not at all.

In case you had not followed the links, here is a simple procedure :
- Download the RPMs from OOo site.
- Remove the OOo version installed by default in Ubuntu out of the box if still installed (all green packages with 'openoffice.org2 in Synaptic). No need if you've already upgraded once before.
- Then in the console :
Code:
cd rep_install_OOo/RPMS
sudo alien -d --scripts *.rpm
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

- Then update the Gnome menu:
Code:
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i openoffice.org-debian-menus_2.0.4-2_all.deb

NB: if alien is not installed, then:
Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if it's ok.

I thought this was the info I so desperately needed. I am running Kubuntu 6.06 LTS and wanted to upgrade from the standard Ubuntu OOo package, which is old and outdated, with no hope of anything new. I followed your instructions to the letter, and everything chugged along like it was really installing OOo 2.2. It created the menus etc. However nothing works, and I can't find anything either. HELP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: