OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Please help me: HOW TO insert Trendline in a graph?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g1annis
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Please help me: HOW TO insert Trendline in a graph? Reply with quote

I have for example the values

for x: 1.1 2.0 3.0 4.0 and
for y: 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0

I insert a graph, and i like to insert also the "Trendline" which is the best line that fits to this points in accordance to the "least squares method", and also the "standard deviation" R^2

How can i do that? Does OOo-calc support this feature?

In the MS Office to do this i would make the graph. Then right click to any point of the above, and click the "add trendline" option. The trendline should appear. Then right click to any point of the trendline --->options (3d tab of the appearing window) and tick the options "show linear equation" and "show standard deviation".

This way can anyone see those parameters on the graph.

Is there any way to do something same using OOo-calc?

Thank you.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me: HOW TO insert Trendline in a graph? Reply with quote

g1annis wrote:
I have for example the values

for x: 1.1 2.0 3.0 4.0 and
for y: 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0

I insert a graph, and i like to insert also the "Trendline" which is the best line that fits to this points in accordance to the "least squares method", and also the "standard deviation" R^2

How can i do that? Does OOo-calc support this feature?

In the MS Office to do this i would make the graph. Then right click to any point of the above, and click the "add trendline" option. The trendline should appear. Then right click to any point of the trendline --->options (3d tab of the appearing window) and tick the options "show linear equation" and "show standard deviation".

This way can anyone see those parameters on the graph.

Is there any way to do something same using OOo-calc?

Thank you.

Select graph > right click > edit > Edit on menu bar > Stats > etc
This will give you the line but not the equations Have a look at this thread.

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=51935&highlight=linear+regression+line
g1annis
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Is there any plan to support this feature?

Is there a wish-list to suggest to add this feature to OOo? As i saw at the thread you indicated me, there are many problems related to this. If a file that shows the trendline and the R^2 created in MS Office opens in OOo, these elements does not appear.

And at last it is unfitting the fact that some so simple things, can be done easier in a commercial application and harder to an open source application.

Thank you.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g1annis wrote:
Thank you.

Is there a wish-list to suggest to add this feature to OOo? As i saw at the thread you indicated me, there are many problems related to this. If a file that shows the trendline and the R^2 created in MS Office opens in OOo, these elements does not appear.

And at last it is unfitting the fact that some so simple things, can be done easier in a commercial application and harder to an open source application.

Thank you.

There is a major rewriting of Calc's graphics package in progress. The new package apparently is available for beta testers (sorry I don't have a link). It may address this problem.
joerg04
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
g1annis wrote:
Thank you.

Thank you.

There is a major rewriting of Calc's graphics package in progress. The new package apparently is available for beta testers (sorry I don't have a link). It may address this problem.

jrkrideau, maybe I can help out. Smile
Here is a nice link by the developers and the named issue seemed to be addressed. This means by the end of the year we will have support for many of these "basic" features in OOo/Calc too.
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/new_chart_module_is_integrated

RKWard: http://rkward.sourceforge.net/
sidux: http://sidux.com/index.html
Musix: http://musix.org.ar/en/index.html
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the development version m213 with the new chart module, downloaded from
http://download.openoffice.org/SRC680/index.html

A regression or trend line can be inserted automatically in the chart, but no parameters appear.

To do this, first draw the graph, then right-click on the graph > Edit > select a point on the line > right click > Object properties > Statistics > Regression curves, Linear regression...

To insert the parameters or the equation in the chart, it is necessary to calculate them (Insert > Function) and put them manually on the chart.

i think in these business-oriented charts it is rarely needed to put equations on charts. I have seen many presentations with trend lines and no equations or parameters.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding equations to a trendline is integrated into OOo 2.4 due March 2008. It works properly for me.
* BleachBit
</signature>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: