OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

lost data in Base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proinwv
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: lost data in Base Reply with quote

RE: Base, OOo v 2.2

I have lost several important databases. Specifically the table data. If I open the file there are no tables. In some cases the forms are listed, but opening them gets an error message that the table is not there. The specific form I created is.

This is a real issue for me as days of work are gone.

When tables and forms are created, what file extensions are used? odb or others?

What can I do to prevent this problem? Is there anyway to recover the data?

Crying or Very sad
squenson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proinwv,

Base creates files with an .odb extension. If you have created tables in Base and you do not see them anymore, there are no chances to get them back from that specific file. And if you do not have a backup file then I am afraid that your data are lost.

Some questions though:
- Did you create the tables and data in Base, or did you link to another database?
- You say you have lost "several" databases. Is this really correct that several files have been damaged, or is this only several tables inside a unique file?
- Any idea of what action may have cause this behavior? (files copied from one folder to another, unexpected crash/reboot while the files where open, ...)
proinwv
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your prompt reply is appreciated.

- Did you create the tables and data in Base, or did you link to another database?
These were created in Base.

- You say you have lost "several" databases. Is this really correct that several files have been damaged, or is this only several tables inside a unique file?
I lost three different tables. However, there are four others that are intact. BTW, I haven't lost any other files on my computer. I do have backups but they are also in this state.

- Any idea of what action may have cause this behavior? (files copied from one folder to another, unexpected crash/reboot while the files where open, ...)
I had created the files and used each of them several times over a period of several weeks, to create mail merges, an envelope printing merge as well as reports.

So frustrating.
proinwv
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question... If all files have an .odb extension, then do tables, forms, and reports have to have different names?
rnelson
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: base looses data - yep - loses, poof, gone, vanished... Reply with quote

This is a known issues.

I'm dissapointed that people aren't clearer about this.

Its something about the fact that OOo keeps data in compressed archives. Or something about the use of a Java wrapper. I don't really know.

I know that Base holds ALL data in memory, along with your forms queries and anything in the database file.

Base forms are writer documents, but are stored in the database by default.

I save my forms external to the database, so I don't loose them. This should be a more clearly specified option.

The big problem is that Base does not save data to disk properly. Even when you use the Save option on the menu or save button on tool bar. Try it. Base lies. It does not save your data to disk until to close the Base application. Closing the database file, with other database files open, does not work. Your data is held in memory (not on disk), until you close the Base application.

This is a show-stopper for me. Save to disk should save to disk - period. We need to know that our data are safe.

Its unacceptable that Base lies like this.

The problem is that if you don't close the application and save to disk, and if Base shuts down in some non-standard way (crashes). Poof - your data was never saved to disk. It was in memory, but is now the property of cyber-alzheimers - probably no-where in existence any more.

There is a fix to this, that some of use worked out a bit ago, and I have a macro that can flush to disk without closing the application.

So, it can be done. But the developers don't care about your data, and don't care whether you actually use Base. Don't use Base. It hazardous to your data. Developers have done all kind of nifty things, and it seems like it would be easy to solve this problem (I'm not a computer programmer or engineer, and I worked it out). But they are not serious about people using Base, and apparently not serious about providing an alternative to Access.

Use MySQL. It saves your data properly. Also, save your forms outside your database document - that way you don't have to open the database document to use your form and work with the very reliable MySQL database. You still need a database document to connect OOo to MySQL.

The rest of OOo is awesome. Base is a huge disappointment.

r
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... so I guess you're not 100% a fan of Base?

You say....

Quote:
I have a macro that can flush to disk without closing the application

Could you post that for us, or post a link to where we can get it? Sounds useful.
rnelson
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base is a good front end. Some of the controls are difficult to use and poorly documented, but they do work.

I use a moderately complex set of Base forms daily.

I really do like OOo.

I'll find my macro to flush to disk. Last I tried it worked as intended and I made a button object to execute it.

I should really be fixed by the developers - as if they actually want people who care about data to use Base.

r
rnelson
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Flush to Disk Macro Reply with quote

Here is my macro.

Others on this board deserve the credit. I just put this one together from the efforts that I observed.

Code:

Sub FlushToDisk
Dim oForms as Object, oForm as Object
Dim oCtrl as Object
oForms = ThisComponent.DrawPage.Forms
oForm = oForms.GetByName("MainForm")
'Xray oForm
oForm.ActiveConnection.flush()
End Sub

r
newuser4
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves me it has been reported on this forum that the method flush() doesn't work too.
To force Base to write data on the disk you have to create (and run) a query with the following instruction:
Code:
CHECKPOINT;

However this doesn't appear to be related with topic author's problem, he has lost data already stored in tables while connection.flush() and CHECKPOINT command deal with data still not written on the disk.
proinwv
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I see that I can't recover lost data but I was able to restore two odb files using "GoBack". It seems that they were, at one time saved. In fact, what I restored appears to be a complete file. That is all of the data I had entered was there. One is still gone.

Did I mention that the "lost data" while gone, the file *.odb remained, but without the data I had entered.

Anyway, I do need to know that any data I enter in the future is safe. I guess I also need to make a decision as to whether to continue using Base. The research that I did indicated it was probably among the easiest to use, and has a friendly price.

rnelson and others I really appreciate your input. I am not sure where I would place the file you presented for it to operate. I have not done any progrmaming in years and most of it was Basic, etc.
rnelson
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the flush macro is easy

Tools, Organize Macros, OOo Macros

just record a short test macro first then look for it to see where it goes.

copy the macro code to that location.

Its all basic.

I do like Base, but I rant too much about data safety

My data matters.

r
proinwv
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rnelson

You don't rant too much at all. There is too much work involved in establishing a data base to have it flushed down the tube.

I shall try the macro tomorrow as you say and then a test data base to see what happens. Do I have to initiate any action afterwards when I want to save a file or is it automatic?

I don't know if the people who need to are reading these posts, but there is no need for this to happen and it should be corrected. I am new to OOo and want to support it but this type of issue should not happen in 2007.

Again, thanks very much!
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rnelson--

Thanks for being so frank about this bug.

You mention using mysql. I have that on my Ubuntu machine, and have been thinking of using Base as a front end to MySQL. Is that a safe option, or does that save to disk bug still exist in that kind of set up?

Any suggestions if I decide to try that?

Or if you suggest not, what is a good front end that is available in both Linux and WinXP? (if you or anyone here knows....)

Thanks!
Ciencia Al Poder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Incompatibilyty between Linux and Windows Reply with quote

Hello, and sorry about my english

I have a probem with OO Base (v 2.0)

I know that there's a new version, but I'm lazy to upgrade Smile

Maybe my problem is related.

I created a database in Windows XP. With tables and data in them. I choose OpenOffice because it works both in Windows and Linux. But, when I put it in Linux (SuSE, KDE) and opened the database, all the tables were lost. There was no table in the database! But the database file had the same size, so the data was there and IS there.

I opened the odb file with a file compressor program and tried to open the files it contains with text editors to find if the data was there, and yes, I found all the data and table structures, but OO didn't show them.

I tried to create a table with the same name that an existent table, to test if the program alerts me of a conflict, or "magically" found the lost tables, but the new tables were created without complain, and then new files were created inside the database file, with names slighty different from the ones before.

Understanding what was happening, I unpacked the odb file, deleted the newly created file, renamed the older files with the same names as the newer and re-packing the odb file.

When I opened the database... wow, all the tables an data was there!!!!

But, when I opened the database in Windows, I had the same problem Confused

Arrow summarizing:

in Windows, the odb contains a /database/ subfolder with names like:

Code:

ex.backup
ex.data
ex.properties
ex.script

And, in Linux, the names are like

Code:

.backup
.data
.properties
.script

Maybe your data isn't lost. Only OO can't find it Laughing

This BUG has been solved in the newest version? There's a(n other) workaround to solve it in my current version (v2.0)?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: