OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

embedded graphics don't transmit in e-mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankelecakker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: embedded graphics don't transmit in e-mail Reply with quote

If I put a graphic in a Writer document and then transmit it by e-mail, the document is received without the embedded graphic. Anyone know what to do about this?
TIA

Celeron 500, 256RAM, 20G HD, Cable Gigabyte GA-GF 1280, SB PCI128 IE6, OE6,Win98(orig), AVG, Kerio
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saving it as a writer document or as a word document?
yankelecakker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't save it. I am just sending it imediately after creating it. Is it necessary to save it first?

Celeron 500, 256RAM, 20G HD, Cable Gigabyte GA-GF 1280, SB PCI128 IE6, OE6,Win98(orig), AVG, Kerio
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would.

The graphic has, of course, come from somewhere. I suspect that, until you save it, it is not actually embedded, merely a link to a file on your hard drive.

Try saving in the appropriate format and then sending as an e-mail attachment and let us know if that works.

Ian
yankelecakker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I save the document as a Word document, the graphic doesn't transmit. If I save it as an OO document, it does. But will Word open an OO document or will the recipient be required to have OO installed in order to read it?
One other thing I noticed: when OO sends the e-mail, it is simply sent to my OE Outbox and is not delivered and the Sending box just hangs. I suppose that is because of the way I have configured OE not to send mail automatically.
Finally, I tried installing the beta last night and it wouldn't install. I just did a checksum of the download and it is ok so I will try again this AM (EST in Canada GMT-5) Wink I'll try uninstalling the earlier version first. Will let you know what happens.

The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I save the document as a Word document, the graphic doesn't transmit. If I save it as an OO document, it does. But will Word open an OO document or will the recipient be required to have OO installed in order to read it?

Word won't open an OO document. I am surprised that the format dictates whether the graphic is transmitted. Could it be that the recipient is opening the document in "normal" view.
One other thing I noticed: when OO sends the e-mail, it is simply sent to my OE Outbox and is not delivered and the Sending box just hangs. I suppose that is because of the way I have configured OE not to send mail automatically.
It may be that OO is not linking in with OE properly, OO being intended for use primarily with Mozilla\Netscape. It may be sensible to use the attach function in OE instead.
Finally, I tried installing the beta last night and it wouldn't install. I just did a checksum of the download and it is ok so I will try again this AM (EST in Canada GMT-5) Wink I'll try uninstalling the earlier version first. Will let you know what happens.[/quote]

I remember now- OO644 (now the beta) requires additional files available from Microsoft. One was Unicows.dll and the other was something to do with database access. However, all references to these appear to have disappeared from the OO website.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the unicows.exe update and graphics now are embedded (now using beta 1.1--so that may have made a difference as well!
Thanks for the input Razz
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Stuff Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: