OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Filters for import

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Filters for import Reply with quote

Hi--

I am new to OpenOffice and this forum. Hope you gurus can help me!

I would like to be able to import all my Lotus Ami Pro 3.1 files into OpenOffice. The OpenOffice.org site lists this as a filter in a couple of the technical notes, but I cannot find this filter. Crying or Very sad

I have OO 1.0.1 that came with my Red Hat 8.0 disks.

PS: Is there any way to increase the size of the fonts on this website? I almost need a magnifying glass to read it, and I have text size in MSIE 5.5 set to Largest!

Thanks!
wurzel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Filters for Import Reply with quote

Hi,
I think that the AmiPro 3.1 filters are only available in the StarOffice product, and not in OOo (although I haven't checked). The fact that you found something in the OOo help could be down to the common origin of the help files with the StarOffice product. OOo does have Lotus WKS filters though.

Another thought just occurred to me. The AmiPro filters might only be available on the Windows platform. This was the case with the StarOffice product and WordPerfect filters.

wurzel
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wurzel--

Thanks for the quick reply!

Any idea how I could find out for sure?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Import Filters Reply with quote

Check out the Sun site for the StarOffice product. There used to be a page somewhere that listed the available filters.

wurzel
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wurzel, I'll do that.

Anybody else have any idea where to find the filters for Ami Pro which will work on OpenOffice? Or if they exist?

Thanks, Wurzel!
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have got the SO6.1 beta for both Windows and Linux.

Running the setup in the Windows version allows you to install a whole raft of filters, including Ami-Pro. Do the same in Linux? None!

Sounds a real bum deal to me, given that both Windows and Linux users pay the same. No wonder MS has a monopoly given that Linux seems to have 1 hand tied behind it's back.

I have heard that sourceforge is a useful place for OOo users to visit - might be worth a try.

Ian
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this helps.

KWord will open Amipro docs, and save as RTF, which OOo will open. Not ideal Crying or Very sad
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian--

Thanks. Ami Pro will save as .rtf directly, so there would be no need to do two imports.

I have posted this same question over on the star office forums and so far gotten no response.

I am really new to OOo and wonder: is it a dummied down version of Star Office? Has it been crippled here in the filters?

If so, would it make sense for me to buy Star Office and use it instead of OOo? I have about 5 of us use it, and their license costs seem a bit high....
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this:

http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/mostfaqs.html#7

"The source code available at OpenOffice.org does not consist of all of the StarOffice code. Usually, the reason for this is that Sun pays to license third-party code to include in StarOffice that which it does not have permission to make available in OpenOffice.org. Those things which are or will be present in StarOffice but are not available on OpenOffice.org include:
Certain fonts (including, especially, Asian language fonts)
The database component (Adabas D)
Some templates
Extensive Clip Art Gallery
Some sorting functionality (Asian versions)
Certain file filters"

Included in OOo Writer is, however, a horrible RTF export filter. Crying or Very sad Cool
dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtz--

Well that almost answers it, huh? Sad

Anybody have any ideas where I can get a definitive answer to this question about where the filters can be found?

Also, if I just buy one copy of Star Office, could I use that as the coversion place and just use OO for new ongoing work? Or does that not make sense?

Thanks, Curtz!
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, it would seem to be that the only way to do direct import would be with StarOffice (Windows) - so you would need a Windows Box also .Given that you are not using either it would seem that you will have to create a lot of "interim" files. I don't use rtf much but have read elsewhere that RTF is not one of OOs strengths, where the document contains graphics. So, if you have a complex document, you might be better using Kword and seeing if that works and keep those docs in amipro. If there is the odd one that is precious to you I will convert it for you with SO6.1beta for Windows.

Let me know if that is of interest.

Ian

dgermann
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian--

Well, I do have a bunch of Windoze boxes, on which Ami Pro reside. I could get one copy of Star Office and do a coversion in that, I suppose. Then save them all to a network to which I connect my Linux machine. Or even make my Linux box the main network.

Still trying to work out how to move from one set of computers to another. I am testing out Linux, and so far, despite the learning curve, I think I like what I see.

Say, are there any services out there that would do the conversion of many documents for me?

Oh, and I remember years ago there was a program called HiJaak that was a filter to transport files from one format to another. Wouldn't it be nice if there were something like that still available--one big macro and turn it loose on a whole directory full of files! Just dreaming.... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: