OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Changing headers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oracle9271
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Changing headers Reply with quote

I'm trying to use Writer to produce court transcripts. In the transcript, I need different headers throughout the document, for example each witness needs the header to change for their name, and direct, cross,and re-examination. A simple trial with 10 witnessess will have 40 different headers through the document.

In Writer, it seems like the only way I can chage the header is to create a new style and put in a manual break. This is very tedious because I don't want a new section or style, just a change to the header. I end up having to create 40 styles for my document, which is a horrible mess and it's worse as I edit the document because I have no idea which style corresponds to which header, so I just create more and more, until I have over 100 styles in a fairly simple 200 page document.

Also, the breaks I'm forced to add jump to the next page. I get around it as I insert them by putting them on the last line of the page, but then when I go back and proofread the document, I add and remove lines, so I end up with a bunch of single line pages or pages that end a line too soon. This means I have to go back and redo all the breaks every time I edit the document.

I have been reading the support areas about this, and all I can seem to find is this is supposed to be a feature of Writer somehow by forcing you to do it the "right" way and Word is inferior by being more casual about its headers. Does anyone have suggestions or actually use OOo to produce transcripts?

Thanks,
Jason
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need one page style and use the fields feature to update the header with the needed information. See this thread for example : User Fields. It deals with master document but same for single documents. There are other threads in this forum that could help.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Oracle9271
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Hagar.

I'm not seeing how this helps my problem though. I want to be able to type a constant string in the header, but have that string change throughout the document. The string does not appear anywhere except in the header for the pages on which I want it.

The fields dialog you directed me to seems to be more advanced than I want setting up various variables to have the header automatically update.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, either you organize yourself better by giving clear names to each style (note that the page name is displayed in the status bar at bottom), or you use fields that you hide in the text.

Why adding page breaks at the end of the page ? better set them at the beginning of each new section : right click on the first paragraph of the page to be the new section, go to the Paragraph entry, Text Flow tab and set the page break here.
Oracle9271
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've just been naming my styles "style1, style2, style3...." so I can use the same ones on multiple documents instead of having to create dozens of styles over and over every time.

There is no beginning of each new section, that's a major part of the problem.

For example, when a new witness gets on the stand, I don't start their testimony at the top of the next page, It just starts on the next line. It is not the first paragraph of a page. The document doesn't really have paragraphs, just a continuous flow who who said what.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get away with one "tittle" per witness then you might use frames for "Beginning of John Doe". These can exist outside the margins. You could even put them at the side of the page where John Doe actually starts.
Oracle9271
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
If you can get away with one "tittle" per witness then you might use frames for "Beginning of John Doe". These can exist outside the margins. You could even put them at the side of the page where John Doe actually starts.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by one title per witness. It's not my choice how to format the document, it's a formal standard, it must be 2 or 3 for the main examination, cross examination, and optional reexamination. But why, would that make a difference? If your way lets me have one title per witness, why not 3?

I don't know what you mean by frames and text outside the margins? Also, it is a formal standard and I can't have it say "Beginning of John Doe" or anything else outside the margin.
Caracalla
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help if you could upload us a sample of what you need (not with real people obviously, just a mockup)

What might work from your description is to use headings. You can use fields in the headers do display, say, headings of the 7th 8th and 9th level (or whatever elvels are deep enough not to show up in your table of contents). You could then type the neccecary titles at the top of the sections and make then hidden (edit paragraph style).
Of course, if the sections have headings anyway there is no need for that.
acknak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it helps to have an actual document to play with: court_headings.odt

Of course it looks nothing like the correct format I'm sure, but it does have the variable headers (and footers) using the methods mentioned in this thread.

I used a variable for the person's name, and put that in a level-8 heading. In the headers I inserted a reference field which copies the whole header, and in the footer I just inserted the field which shows only the person's name.

Both methods are a little awkward to use, but once you get used to it, it shouldn't be too bad.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by one title per witness.
I'd like to see your response to acknak's document before going any further.

acknak said:
Quote:
In the headers I inserted a reference field
This is the Chapter field found at Insert > Fields > Other > Document tab. It doesn't require a new page style.

Look at page 2 of his example where there is the end of the cross of Doe, the beginning of the direct of Jackson and finally the beginning of the cross of Jackson. What would your header for this page have in it?

Also note that his header text is dependent on having a paragraph in the Heading 8 paragraph style. Would/could such paragraphs actually be in your transcript? I will note that such paragraphs could be invisible.
Oracle9271
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
I'd like to see your response to acknak's document before going any further.

Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread, between all day in court and typing in the evenings it's very difficult for me to find time during the week.

I just want to make it clear I haven't abandoned the thread and I will look at acknak's document. I appreciate everyone's help.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oracle9271,

Take your time. You have an interesting and very practical question.

As you may gather from the request for a sample file and my target on the Header for page 2 of acknak's document, we need to know just how you need to deal with such a page. It sways the approach we suggest to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: