OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

embedding fonts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatitosmommy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: embedding fonts Reply with quote

for process OpenOffice Writer --> convert to pdf --> embed fonts --> submit material,

first, where can I find detailed step-by-step instructions on how to embed fonts?

second, is it true what I've heard, that some OpenOffice fonts will embed automatically? if so, which ones?
considering the place I'm submitting the material to only uses certain OpenOffice fonts, it looks like I'll be stuck with Courier.

if anyone here has deal with Lulu, I'd appreciate any info...

if it's relevant-- I have Linux, not Windows
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fonts available on your system are embedded in the PDF. If they aren't, they may be missing, especially if you use Microsoft fonts like Courrier. Make sure they're installed. Do you have the msttfcorefonts package ?

See also this thread : Embedding fonts in pdf export: Solved.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: embedding fonts Reply with quote

gatitosmommy wrote:

if anyone here has deal with Lulu, I'd appreciate any info...

From my reading of publishing through LuLu so far:

1- If you upload you own PDF you can embed which fonts you like. But remember if you are going to use their publishing contacts deal, with Amazon etc, your PDF must be distilled by Adobe.
www.lulu.com/help/index.php?fSymbol=distro_requirements

2- If you are not creating a PDF for your cover, the fonts you can use for the spine will be limited.
www.lulu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=287632
http://static.lulu.com/author/images/font_previews/font_previews.html
gatitosmommy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
All fonts available on your system are embedded in the PDF. If they aren't, they may be missing, especially if you use Microsoft fonts like Courrier. Make sure they're installed. Do you have the msttfcorefonts package ?

See also this thread : Embedding fonts in pdf export: Solved.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

I'm not very familiar with OpenOffice, this being a different computer than the one I had before, but from what I read on Lulu, the "courier 10 pitch" is the only one that's compatible with their system... I don't especially like Courier, but Lulu says there's only a few fonts that can be used, & that's the only compatible one. unless someone has other info-
hwtan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All fonts available on your system are embedded in the PDF.

In my experience this is not totally true. Some fonts are not embedded probably due the the restriction set in the fonts for licensing reason.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatitosmommy wrote:
, but from what I read on Lulu, the "courier 10 pitch" is the only one that's compatible with their system... I don't especially like Courier, but Lulu says there's only a few fonts that can be used, & that's the only compatible one. unless someone has other info-

What it says on LuLu is:

Quote:
If you are planning to upload your own PDF, you may use any fonts you like, but you must embed the fonts in the PDF before uploading to Lulu. If you are planning to have Lulu convert your document to a PDF, be sure to choose fonts from the following list. If you use a font that is not on this list, the Lulu converter will substitute one of these fonts in its place. This may adversely affect your formatting.

* Arial
* Book Antiqua
* Bookman Old Style
* Century
* Courier
* Garamond
* Palatino
* Tahoma
* Times New Roman
* Verdana
* Symbols

Follow these general guidelines when choosing your fonts:

* Serif fonts are best for printed documents. Use serif fonts like Garamond, Times New Roman and Palatino for blocks of body text.
* Sans serif fonts are best for online documents and for display text. Use sans serif fonts like Arial and Verdana if you intend your book to be viewed online.
* Use bold sans serif fonts for title text or headings.

http://www.lulu.com/help/index.php?fSymbol=font_guidelines

It also states:
Quote:
If you are planning to upload your own PDF, you may use any fonts you like, but you must embed the fonts in the PDF before uploading to Lulu.

All fonts must be embedded. This can be trickier than it seems, so please refer to this tutorial: http://yaquinapress.com/postscript/EmbedFonts.html
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwtan wrote:
Some fonts are not embedded probably due the the restriction set in the fonts for licensing reason.

I can't see why a font should not be embedded in a PDF since the font set cannot be used or installed on another system from the PDF file.

If we can't use a font to make a PDF, I don't see the point in buying some ! Is it also possible to prevent a font to be embedded in a PDF ?

Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
hwtan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, some fonts just do not allow one to embed it in a document. If you remember, MSWord allows one to embed the whole font in the document. For this reason, there is a setting in a font to restrict users from embedding it this way. The PDF exporter in OOo probably looks into this setting too.
huwg
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
hwtan wrote:
Some fonts are not embedded probably due the the restriction set in the fonts for licensing reason.

I can't see why a font should not be embedded in a PDF since the font set cannot be used or installed on another system from the PDF file.
It is quite possible to extract fonts from PDFs, although not really simple. Having said that I don't think that's the reason for restrictions on embedding - it's far more likely to be down to "copyright culture".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: