OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

UNO Call to remote openoffice server without local OO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dante13
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: UNO Call to remote openoffice server without local OO Reply with quote

Is it posible make java aplication (with some java uno libraries) that will be platform independent and able to connect to remote OpenOffice instance without local OO instalation? We need to make aplication running on J2EE Aplication Server on AIX (there is curently no stable OO port for AIX) that will connect to remote Windows with openoffice.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: UNO Call to remote openoffice server without local OO Reply with quote

Dante13 wrote:
Is it posible make java aplication (with some java uno libraries) that will be platform independent and able to connect to remote OpenOffice instance without local OO instalation? We need to make aplication running on J2EE Aplication Server on AIX (there is curently no stable OO port for AIX) that will connect to remote Windows with openoffice.

Yes, it is possible. Although I cannot recommend to connect to a remote OOo server. Doing this has a huge disadvantage: You cannot handle to restart OOo if it terminates itself after a problem (which happens from time to time).

I'm using another approach: I've created a local running OOo service which creates PDF files from some templates and variable data. My local running OOo service restarts OOo after OOo terminates itself. After that, I added some RMI code to my service. Now I can connect from everywhere over the LAN to my RMI-OOo-Service which uses the local running OOo. Something like this should be possible for you, too.

Regards
hol.sten
Dante13
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, I thought today about putting there j2ee engine and turn my app into webservice, but to accomplish it will need working WebDAV with authentication
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dante13 wrote:
Good idea, I thought today about putting there j2ee engine and turn my app into webservice

Using your service as a webservice instead of RMI will work, too. That way you also wouldn't need WebDAV.

Regards
hol.sten
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: