OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Stuff Just Appeared Across top of Open Office Page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rarnold2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Stuff Just Appeared Across top of Open Office Page Reply with quote

All of a sudden, while working on an OpenOffice Doc, I got this two inch wide bar across the top which I cannot get rid of. On the upper left it says "New Theme." Under that it says, "background," "bullets," "my theme," "rulers," "sounds," etc. When I click on any of these, horizontally across the top, I get various symbols. This whole thing never goes away and takes up a good part of the page making it less comfortable for me to work on my document. I just can't get rid of this thing and I don't know how it got there or what it is.

Can anyone help me? I'm a desperate novice, so plain English please. Thank you.
rarnold
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the menu item Tools/Gallery. You can toggle that on and off by clicking with the left mouse. Go up to the top menu and look for it.

David.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a while to find out what it was when it first happened to me. Click the Gallery icon on the Standard tool bar or try Tools > Gallery.
rarnold2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Stuff Just Appeared..... Reply with quote

Thank you so much Davide and BillP. Tools/Gallery did the trick. I don't know what this is, how it happened or why your fix worked, but I sure am relieved. THANKS
rarnold2000
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stuff Just Appeared..... Reply with quote

rarnold2000 wrote:
Thank you so much Davide and BillP. Tools/Gallery did the trick. I don't know what this is, how it happened or why your fix worked, but I sure am relieved.

The Gallery is a container for graphic items such as clip art, backgrounds, photos, whatever items you want to put there... so you can look through it and drag-and-drop graphics into your document. The Help file has much better detail if you choose to take a look, including what the "New Theme" button does.

You might have accidentally clicked on the Gallery tool once... Like the other palette windows (such as the Navigator and Stylist) it retains its last-used state from session to session. Also like the Navigator and Stylist, you can undock it so it doesn't open in what you would perceive to be the document window.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
rarnold2000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Stuff Just Appeared Reply with quote

thanks, Fox. I might, indeed, have inadvertently hit the gallery button. I'll know what to do in the future if it happens and now I know about another feature of Openoffice.
rarnold2000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: