OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Background color options for spreadsheet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidDugas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Background color options for spreadsheet Reply with quote

I am an enthusiastic supporter of Open Office and I believe I can make a useful recommendation for improvement. I have prepared many reports including printed spreadsheets and find the Open Office color options both aesthetically 'challenged' and impractical. In a couple of hours I prepared an alternative set of color options using
Corel QuattroPro which occupies the same 100 square matrix now used in the Open Office drop down. Though I converted the new color matrix to a pdf file, I see no way to attach it to this mail. I will be happy to send a copy to any who are interested.

dwd

PS I am not a pdf virus.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Background color options for spreadsheet Reply with quote

Better, perhaps, to send it to a file hosting service so that people can download from there if they wish. [I'm stuck on what it is you are doing, to be truthful, and how a colour scheme from QP can be transferred to Calc, and similarities and differences, but will wait and see.] Sorry, I'm a bit reluctant to send email addresses, that usually being reserved for people I know, and am even quite cautious about downloading files except from people I've seen around here for some time. It's the age we live in.

David.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Background color options for spreadsheet Reply with quote

DavidDugas wrote:
I am an enthusiastic supporter of Open Office and I believe I can make a useful recommendation for improvement. I have prepared many reports including printed spreadsheets and find the Open Office color options both aesthetically 'challenged' and impractical. In a couple of hours I prepared an alternative set of color options using
Corel QuattroPro which occupies the same 100 square matrix now used in the Open Office drop down. Though I converted the new color matrix to a pdf file, I see no way to attach it to this mail. I will be happy to send a copy to any who are interested.

dwd

PS I am not a pdf virus.

The forum does not accept attachments. The best idea is probably to post to something likemytempdir.com
http://www.mytempdir.com

or

mediafire.co,
http://www.mediafire.com/.

Another alternative is got get yourself a free webpage ( Yahoo is one source ) and post it there for a more permanent solution.
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, but a Quattro Pro document will not be directly useful since it's not in a format that OOo can use. OOo comes with about a half-dozen different color palettes; many more have been developed and are scattered around the web.

The palette files are simple text/xml files (the names end with ".soc"); you can take one of the existing ones and modify it in a text editor, or use the OOo color editor and then export the palette to a .soc file.

Here's a sample from the standard.soc file:
Quote:
<draw:color draw:name="Black" draw:color="#000000"/>
<draw:color draw:name="Blue" draw:color="#000080"/>
<draw:color draw:name="Green" draw:color="#008000"/>
<draw:color draw:name="Turquoise" draw:color="#008080"/>
<draw:color draw:name="Red" draw:color="#800000"/>
DavidDugas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Background color options Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. The use of QuattroPro was simply to produce an array of color choices to demonstrate what I feel is a much better approach. I converted it to pdf just so that it could be posted for general viewing. I'll see about setting up a simple webpage so that such sharing will be possible. Thanks for the ideas. I'm not a programmer, but I may be able to create a text list of the specific color definitions, which someone else might integrate into the existing subroutine for background color selection. I'll use the format provided in the second response. I'll need a little time. More later.

Dugas
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... which someone else might integrate into the existing subroutine for background color selection.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, no subroutine or programming is required: you can change OOo's color palette at any time simply by loading a different palette file. That's why it's so helpful to share the files in the correct format; then anyone can use them directly.

Unfortunately, access to the alternative palettes is a little weird, especially in Writer: First, enable the drawing toolbar (View > Toolbars). Then, create a rectangle and open the Area properties dialog (Right-click > Area). Select the Colors tab; click the "Open" button and choose one of the *.soc files.

You can now delete the rectangle; it's purpose is just to get to that area dialog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: