OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Lock cells so that users cannot select
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobgilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Lock cells so that users cannot select Reply with quote

I am brand spanking new at Open Office and I am trying to figure out how to lock a cell in Calc so that the user cannot even select it. I have a timesheet style spreadsheet and I want the user to move to the cells that I designate when they arrow right or left and not to have to bounce through a bunch of blank columns and cells that are only there for spacing and/or looks.

I looked around in here for quite some time before asking but I was unable to find anything conclusive.

Thanks for your time.
billyboy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format ... Cells... Cell protection. You'll have to protect the sheet first.
HTH
Bill
Answers
bobgilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Bill.

I have tried every combination of "Protect", "Hidden", "Protect Sheet", and "Protect Document" that I could think of and I still can't get it setup to not allow cells to be selected by the user.

I can make cells not be modified, or to be hidden, but I haven't been able to make blank cells (Cells painted white) not be selected yet.

For clarification, In Excel 2007 I go to VIEW - PROTECT SHEET - and uncheck SELECT LOCKED CELLS to create this same effect.

As you have probably guessed, I am likely doing something stupid Smile
jello
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't think the "select locked cells" option is available in OOo. Excel seems to offer many more options with regards to protection.

What about removing all the borders and merging all the cells you don't want them to click on? Laughing
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobgilbert wrote:
Thanks for your reply Bill.

I have tried every combination of "Protect", "Hidden", "Protect Sheet", and "Protect Document" that I could think of and I still can't get it setup to not allow cells to be selected by the user.

Why worry about the ability to "select" a cell if the user can still not then copy or make changes to a locked cell in any event?

David.
huwg
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bobgilbert wants input-focus to move between certain cells for fast data entry.

This has come up before. Unfortunately it is something Excel does easily, and Calc apparently not at all. See:
Controlling cell access
Controlling cell access using the tab key
swingkyd
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huwg wrote:
I think bobgilbert wants input-focus to move between certain cells for fast data entry.

Doesn't this behaviour happen anyway when pressing "tab" to get between unprotected cells when a sheet is protected?
Also, a really easy way of determining what cells are protected is to turn on "View->Value highlighting" with the sheet being protected. But everything else will have a grey background so maybe that is not what you want.
bobgilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huwg wrote:

Yes, that is it exactly.

When I created the original form in Excel I used tiny columns and rows because space was at a premium for what I was doing and I knew that I would need every millimeter in order to make the form work properly.

This is a problem for the sheet in Calc because now to jump from one data entry spot to the next they sometimes have to arrow or tab over through several columns or lines to get to the next data entry location.

In between my daily work, I am looking at the links you all have provided and attempting to re-create any advice that you have given so far. it is possible that a solution that will work has already been provided but, in all honesty, i have not had time to attempt many of them yet.

Thanks, and be assured that any previous or future replies will be attempted and are very much appreciated.
huwg
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobgilbert wrote:
In between my daily work, I am looking at the links you all have provided and attempting to re-create any advice that you have given so far. it is possible that a solution that will work has already been provided
The only advice I gave in the other thread was regarding the Tab key (its function in Calc is different from that in Excel). Sorry, I don't think you can achieve what you want at the moment.

swingkyd wrote:
Doesn't this behaviour happen anyway when pressing "tab" to get between unprotected cells when a sheet is protected?
Not in Calc. Excel can be configured that way.
swingkyd wrote:
Also, a really easy way of determining what cells are protected is to turn on "View->Value highlighting" with the sheet being protected. But everything else will have a grey background so maybe that is not what you want.
Cool! Didn't know that.
bobgilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a work around for the moment, and just as an idea for anyone else that confronts this issue, I have merged the small rows and columns in between the cells used for data entry so that as they "Arrow" or "Enter" over at least they only have to go through one jump.
swingkyd
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huwg wrote:
swingkyd wrote:
Not in Calc. Excel can be configured that way.
swingkyd wrote:
Cool! Didn't know that.

That is really strange because in Calc, I can tab between unprotected cells only when the sheet is protected. Is there some other behaviour that is desired that I am not understanding here? It is still possible to "mouse" to the cell, but the cell cannot be modified.
jello
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is really strange because in Calc, I can tab between unprotected cells only when the sheet is protected. Is there some other behaviour that is desired that I am not understanding here? It is still possible to "mouse" to the cell, but the cell cannot be modified.

I get the same behavior. If I protect all other cells, and then protect the sheet (and then turn View -> Value Highlighting on), only the unprotected cells are visible. Using tab switches between the unprotected cells.
huwg
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I'm not keeping up. It didn't used to work like that.

You still need to be aware that Tab's primary function in Calc is Tools >Cell Contents > AutoInput. If that option is enabled then, if there is an AutoInput choice to be made, you won't be able to Tab to the next unprotected cell until Enter has been pressed.
lee.2819

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: I want to disable other users' ability to SELECT cell Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to disable other users' ability to SELECT certain COLUMN.
My purpose is not just for faster input, but to protect the information on the sheet.
I'm actually sharing the file with several people, but some of the user does not have access to some of the information, for example, the PRICING COLUMN. but the other column contains other technical information.

In Excel, I can simply disable the users' ability to select the cell. lock the sheet.
If i cant disable that feature, no point in locking, and hiding.
i can still drag (with a mouse) across the columns, hit CTRL+C, then paste some where else, i can still be able to review the CONFIDENTIAL information.

Is there anyway i can get around that?

thank you.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If all you want is:
Quote:
I want to disable other users' ability to SELECT certain COLUMN.
Hide the column and protect your sheet.
Quote:
My purpose is not just for faster input, but to protect the information on the sheet.
In Excel, I can simply disable the users' ability to select the cell. lock the sheet.
The fact that a user can't select a cell doesn't stop him from viewing the content which is the same for Excel.
What you can do is hide the content by merging with the previous cell when the popup ask you Should the contents of the hidden cells be moved into the firts cell? answer No the content is still in the cell but invisible.

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: