OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Windows install process question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azrider
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Windows install process question Reply with quote

Is there a listing somewhere of EVERYTHING the install process does to the Windows user's profile - registry changes to HKCU, directories/files created, etc? I'm using O.O. 1.1.0.

Ideally I would like to know BOTH what gets done when an admin user just runs the setup WITHOUT using the -net switch so Open Office gets installed just for him/her, and also what gets set/created in the profile when a user runs the install after an admin has installed using -net.

The purpose is so I can manually remove Open Office settings from user profiles. It's a long story related to not reading directions before installing and I'll spare everyone the details beyond that. Wink

Thanks in advance,
Rob
azrider
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

OK, no one is answering this, so I'll add some more specifics....

I was at my girlfriends and I loaded Open Office on her computer as myself (my Windows logon)... I didn't want to disturb the system so I just ran the setup (without -net) and installed it just for myself. Well she is taking a math class and I used OO Spreadsheet to check some of her work and naturally she thought this was great and wanted to be able to do it herself.

At this point I figured I better do a multi-user install so I installed it again using -net while logged on as her. The user portion went fine and everything worked great. However, when I try to run the user protion of the setup as myself it only gives me the option to repair OO iinstalled in the Program Files location (normal behavior is running the user portion should give you the option to repair or remove OO from your user profile only). This is running under WinXP Home and we are both admins on the computer.

So the obvious conclusion is when I am logged on, OO somehow thinks it's still a single-user install. I do not have the OO directory under Application Data like I normally would in a multi-user install. I have searched HKCU for instances of Open Office without much luck as well. So I am trying to figure out what in either my user profile directory or HKCU in the registry is causing OO to think it's a single user install when I am logged on, so I can go whack it and run the user setup as is normally done in a multi-user OO environment.

I know the obvious quick and dirty fix is to rename my profile and let Windows make a new one, but I would prefer to fix it the "right" way instead of the brute force "wipe it out and start fresh" way.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think the issue is that both your girlfriend and yourself are administrators. When someone for whom OOo thinks it is already installed runs setup, it will offer the options of modify\repair\remove, as opposed to setting itself up again. If one of you was not the administrator, this may well not have happened. How to fix it? I don't know much about XP (Win 98 and Linux myself) but wonder whether uninstalling, and then reinstalling when formally logging in as "Administrator" and then logging in as user may do it. However, if you can't do the mini sub-routines for both of you then you probably need to modify user rights, t least for the install.

I expect there will be good news for the future, as the latest (developer) build has an option "allow all users...." so the -net install will probably go next year with OOo2.

In Win 98 at any rate, all that OOo1 installs in windows\application data are 2 files: sversion.ini and testtool.ini, if you have opted to select that component.

Ian
azrider
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Thanks, but... Reply with quote

That's definitely not it. I have already tested using other administrative users and they run the user setup just fine. It's only my account that exhibits the problem, so by process of elimination I can pretty confidently conclude that Open Office somehow knows it was installed in "single user" mode under my logon and it has nothing to do with user rights (which in reality is really a MUCH better design than having it depend on user rights anyway).

I can also tell you that under XP it puts a whole lot more stuff than just 2 ini files in the user profile when the user setup runs - I was going to list the files (I will if anyone really wants them) but it's a long list (1.65MB worth of files). A major difference could be that under Windows 98 there are NO user profiles unless you have them explicitly enabled, and everything is in a sort of "single user mode" by default.

I ended up going the quick and dirty route of renaming my profile and letting XP create a new one upon logon, and then it worked fine. However I really hate not being able to solve these things the "right way" where I figure out what's actually causing the problem and correct it, so if anyone (maybe an Open Office developer???Wink ) can tell me what all happens during an install, that would be great.

After the fact I did find an ini file, I think it was sversion.ini maybe but I am at work and not sitting at my girlfriend's computer so I can't check it. Anyhoo, the file contained a path to the Open Office directory in c:\program files, so in retrospect that could have been the whole problem and deleting it might have solved it - but I would really like to know for sure....

Thanks,
Rob - pays better attention to directions when adinministering Linux Wink
azrider
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Solved, I think Reply with quote

I think I solved most of my own problem, so I figured I'd post back to the forum...

To see what OO does during the install process, all you have to do is look at setup.log in the Program files\OO\program directory. This shows you everything that was done during the install process and whether it was a network install (using -net) or workstation at the very top of the file.

As far as correcting the mistake of installing as a single-user install and uninstalling and reinstalling as a different user and hosing up the original user's installation, it appears that OO setup looks for sversion.ini in the user's profile when the setup is run - this file contains a path to the OO install. It looks like deleting that file before running the user setup (logged on as the user who originally did the single-user install) will allow OO setup to run the workstation portion of the setup correctly for that user.

Hope this helps someone else out someday....

-Rob
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob

I am sure it will. The sversion.ini file can be a problem in that when people uninstall OOo via Windows add\remove, the routine does not remove that file. As a consequence OOo will not reinstall as when it finds that file it thinks it's already there.

Similar to your problem I think, although I hadn't recognised the link. Well figured out.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: